Premed 101 Forums

First aid/CRP-C training

I am an instructor for St John Ambulance.

I thnk you'll need CPR-HCP (health care provider) and you shouldn't need to take the rest of the first aid stuff, but it's definitely useful information. The full standard first aid and CPR-HCP course is only 2 days and about $165, and you'll learn a lot of useful skills.

Also, and I just have to say this because I've encountered it before on this forum, first aid is about using available materials to save lives. If you are interested in saving lives, you should want to take this course. I assume everyone on this forum is interested in saving lives, yes?

/soapbox

I had really bad experience with St John Ambulance. The instructor was late, the volunteers are cliche', harrassing new members while covering up for their friends...etc

just my personal experience though, in no way i am saying SJA is bad

I have had both good and bad experiences with SJA. :)

Hey- I have a thought- if I can get enough newly-accepted people to come up to Whitehorse for a vacation, I can do a special course just for the entering class! :D

This is not a joke!

From the teaching/business side of SJA, I've had great experiences with them. Did my first aid with them and OFA3, both great courses and very engaging instructors.

From the volunteer side, it's a mixed bag depending on where you go. Most groups are full of chill people who are fun to volunteer with. Then you have groups of people who pretend to be paramedics, and then you have other groups of people who pretend that they're in the military and bark orders to people with their fake 'ranks'. It can be bizarre to watch.

U of T specifies first aid and CPR-C. What course does this translate into at SJA? What are some alternatives to SJA?

I checked out Red Cross (seems to be cheaper than SJA). Also, try Life Saving Society? (a friend of mine did his certification through them).

I took the Standard First Aid/CPR-C/AED course through the Canadian Red Cross. It's a 2-day course (9am-5pm), with a student rate of $119. Definitely had a fun time!

Just as a heads up you guys, all schools usually only recognize courses run by the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada. These are the ones the schools put on for you, and these are the only ones acceptable for residency.

Archived