Premed 101 Forums

Medical Biophysics 3503G

I've taken all of the biophyics courses at Western, and this course definitely has the least amount of physics. The equations are basic (no calculus involved and no derivations) and the assignments are quite easy. Friends of mine who were non-biophysics students took it with me and we all got 90+ with a minimal amount of work. They also post all of the lecture slides online, and hold review sessions before the exams. Be careful though, a lot of the other 3rd year courses are essentially derivation, calculus, and matlab based. If you are considering taking another biophysics course, or this one doesn't fit in to your schedule, take a look at 3501. It also involves minimal/basic math only.

Both courses have short answer exams.

I've taken all of the biophyics courses at Western, and this course definitely has the least amount of physics. The equations are basic (no calculus involved and no derivations) and the assignments are quite easy. Friends of mine who were non-biophysics students took it with me and we all got 90+ with a minimal amount of work. They also post all of the lecture slides online, and hold review sessions before the exams. Be careful though, a lot of the other 3rd year courses are essentially derivation, calculus, and matlab based. If you are considering taking another biophysics course, or this one doesn't fit in to your schedule, take a look at 3501. It also involves minimal/basic math only.

Both courses have short answer exams.

Would you recommend 3501F to someone that hasn't taken physics since 1st year? What do you do in the tutorials and are they every week?

Yep! They reteach every concept, and its more of a conceptual course, not a mathematical/calculations based course. For example, when you learn about BP, Questions might ask you what would happen to BP if you were to go deep sea diving, if you went into space, if you were to constrict a vessel upstream or downstream of the measurement point etc. There actually aren't any tutorials, they're optional and we never had them. I think they are supposed to be time to get help with assignments and ask questions. Plus the prof is super awesome. He's young and interesting to listen to. Its more like he's having a conversation with you than lecturing at you. Also, he gives you the questions to the final before the final. He reads them out at a normal pace and you can write down whatever you can remember while he's reading them. He really cares more that you understand the stuff.

Yep! They reteach every concept, and its more of a conceptual course, not a mathematical/calculations based course. For example, when you learn about BP, Questions might ask you what would happen to BP if you were to go deep sea diving, if you went into space, if you were to constrict a vessel upstream or downstream of the measurement point etc. There actually aren't any tutorials, they're optional and we never had them. I think they are supposed to be time to get help with assignments and ask questions. Plus the prof is super awesome. He's young and interesting to listen to. Its more like he's having a conversation with you than lecturing at you. Also, he gives you the questions to the final before the final. He reads them out at a normal pace and you can write down whatever you can remember while he's reading them. He really cares more that you understand the stuff.

Thanks a lot :)

• 1 month later...

Archived