Premed 101 Forums

Dilemma (QC IP)

loki22

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of in a weird situation right now and am looking for any advice.

I plan on pursuing Medicine and have been taking my Pre-Reqs at a CEGEP in Montreal. Here's how that's going:

REM CHEM

CHEM 1

MATH 436

MATH 536

REM PHYS

EDIT - forgot to add BIO 1 ;)

Here's where it gets tricky - the way that I see it is I have two options:

1. Once I finish the other pre-reqs needed I can apply for a Bsc at either Concordia or OOP.

2. At this moment I can apply to Dawson (CEGEP) for Health Science[2 year program]. I've heard of people getting accepted to McGill straight out of Health Sci, but have no clue when it comes to the numbers involved.

So my question is, should I go into Health Sci (and hope that I can get into McGill Med-P right out of Dawson) or should I go for the Bsc at a university, then apply to med?

Which has the better chances and what would you do if you were put in this situation?

Thank you for your time!

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of in a weird situation right now and am looking for any advice.

I plan on pursuing Medicine and have been taking my Pre-Reqs at a CEGEP in Montreal. Here's how that's going:

REM CHEM

CHEM 1

MATH 436

MATH 536

REM PHYS

Here's where it gets tricky - the way that I see it is I have two options:

1. Once I finish the other pre-reqs needed I can apply for a Bsc at either Concordia or OOP.

2. At this moment I can apply to Dawson (CEGEP) for Health Science[2 year program]. I've heard of people getting accepted to McGill straight out of Health Sci, but have no clue when it comes to the numbers involved.

So my question is, should I go into Health Sci (and hope that I can get into McGill Med-P right out of Dawson) or should I go for the Bsc at a university, then apply to med?

Which has the better chances and what would you do if you were put in this situation?

Thank you for your time!

Il get right to the point on all your questions.

1. Wrong forum section to post this.

2. I would highly recommend doing health science. Why? In case things don't go as well as you would of hoped, at least it will not affect your university gpa.

3. There may be an issue with applying to med once you finish health science. From what i gather from your post, your currently in cegep in another program and plan to switch to health science. Im sure you know as well as I do that the devil is in the details. From what I gather, you cannot apply to med-p if you do not do your cegep in 2 years. This may or may not be true, in either case I urge you to contact mcgill directly and get the info from the horses mouth (yes i did just steal your expression f_d ;)).

Best of wishes and hope this helped.

Hi guys,

Sorry about the wrong forum section, didn't realize :(

Currently I'm doing my prereqs outside of a program (independent studies), therefore once I apply I would qualify for finishing in 2 years. Basically I'm just wondering which route would be more beneficial in terms of outcome, 2 year health sci with chances of med-p or straight up 4 year bsc.

We don't know your R score. If you have a shot to get into med, then cegep is the way to go. If you don't get in, then go to Concordia and look at my thread in Quebec General Forum about their Exercise Science program.

I don't think we really get an ACTUAL r-score in IND, but right now I'm in the 75-85 range with all of my prereq courses aside from math, which I have 90s in.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Age is just a number. As you are more mature, let academics become your priority, without distractions. And this can become the shortest route to med.

On the other hand, if you don't do well enough to apply from Cegep, or if you apply and are not accepted, you will have another bite at the apple from undergrad; and a poor Cegep record will not be used against you.

So, for many reasons, you should go the Cegep route. :)

Thanks rmorelan. :)

Archived