Premed 101 Forums

What does Ian Walker mean when...

He posted:"I am quite certain we will not fill our 15% this year" in regards to OOP applicants?

This could either mean that OOP applicants simply are not accepting their offer and if they interviewed 125, let's say, they already gave an offer to everyone and still have less than 25 people accepting?

I am assuming this is the case because the smallest score for OOP admitted is still larger than IP, so it's not that they are not filling their quota because IP scores are higher and are being offered admission instead of OOP.

Does my conclusion make sense? Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong!

No it just means that the remaining OOP on the wait list have lower scores than the remaining IP for the most part. Dr. Walker doesn't say the wait list is moving ONLY for IP, just the bulk of the ones with the most realistic chances are most likely IP applicants.

The 15% is a maximum, not a minimum.

Hm. The lowest admitted for OOP is 210.22 while for IP it is 208.81...I have a feeling there are still more OOP with scores in between 210.22 and 208.81 on the wait list.

He said there are lots of high scoring OOP, not too many middles, and many more low scoring OOP in terms of the distribution. For the record, last year's class didn't max out the 15% OOP students, either.

Hm. The lowest admitted for OOP is 210.22 while for IP it is 208.81...I have a feeling there are still more OOP with scores in between 210.22 and 208.81 on the wait list.

It seems to imply that those OOP score between 210.22 and 208.81have already decline.

It means that the next one on the OOP waitlist has a lower score than the next one in IP, so even if a OOP declines, it will be given to IP.

From the sounds of it, not that many spots have not spoken, probably a handful...

No it just means that the remaining OOP on the wait list have lower scores than the remaining IP for the most part. Dr. Walker doesn't say the wait list is moving ONLY for IP, just the bulk of the ones with the most realistic chances are most likely IP applicants.

The 15% is a maximum, not a minimum.

What is your source for this information? My understanding is that UC has two separate streams, IP and OOP, each with their own waitlists.

What is your source for this information? My understanding is that UC has two separate streams, IP and OOP, each with their own waitlists.

The blog would be where this info is.

And no, there is only one list. They go down it and give the next offer to the next highest scorer irrespective of IP or OOP - once they reach 15% OOP they will no longer offer to any OOP.

And as said above, as I would interpret it would be that the OOP who scored higher than the IP have been offered and declined and the list that remains has IP with higher scores than OOP (although I would definitely assume that there are some OOP scattered in this list and would still expect some OOP offers to come - but this is simply speculation).

There are 2 lists. The rule is actually pretty simply IMHO

There is a spot available:

1/ Is OOP reaches its 15% Max?

2/ if the answer is Yes, give the spot to IP

3/ If the answer is NO, use step 4

4/ If IP > OOP, give it to IP, otherwise give it to OOP

I believe Dr. Walker has said there is only 1 list. However, OOP applicants will be skipped over if the 15% OOP maximum has been reached. If not, the spot goes to the next highest ranked applicant regardless of provincial status. This year Dr. Walker is saying that the 15% quota has not been reached but that the next highest (or next few highest) scores are from IP applicants, so the 15% will not be met. The 15% is a maximum, not a set number. There is a minimum 85% IP, the other 15% are up for grabs to the highest ranked applicants, IP or OOP.

The one list thing is for last year. It is b/c the IP scores were higher than OOP last year.

The "skip over" is not logical, it implies that OOP applicant will never get offer (even if it is a OOP spot and his score is higher than the IP down the road).

The one list thing is for last year. It is b/c the IP scores were higher than OOP last year.

The "skip over" is not logical, it implies that OOP applicant will never get offer (even if it is a OOP spot and his score is higher than the IP down the road).

Actually, the "skip over" is logical. What previous posters are saying is that there is a 15% MAX of OOP students that can be admitted, *if* those OOP students score higher than IP. Thus, if they go down the list (whether it be one or two lists, not sure) and the 15% of seats allotted to OOP students are filled, then they will "skip" the remaining OOP students to the next highest IP, even if OOP scores are higher. They cannot go over the 15% max. Conversely, if IP students theoretically score higher than OOP (for example, let's say only 5% of OOP are higher than IP) then those seats will go to IP and have less OOP. Make sense?

You don't "skip over" an OOP applicant, He is still the first one in the OOP list and he will get an offer when his score is higher than the first one in the IP list and a OOP spot is available.:D

I'm not going to comment on this anymore. :)

That is the key and what people have been saying.

If there are no more spots (ie. the 15% has been reached), then the OOP will be skipped over. Maybe skipped over isn't the right word, because there will be no more OOP offers at all. But, just the idea that once the 15% is full, it's full.

But, I am sure with the great communication and updates from Dr. Walker you will all know when the OOP spots are full.

Where are you guys getting your information? I took a minute and spoke with an admissions staff member. She clarified the following:

1. There are two separate lists; IP and OOP.

2. The OOP waitlist is dedicated to the 15% OOP seats. Meaning if an OOP declines an offer, they look at the next highest scoring OOP applicant.

3. The IP waitlist is dedicated to the IP seats. If an IP applicant declines a seat, they look at the next IP applicant.

3. They do NOT combine the two lists and just stop calling OOP applicants when the 15% quota is filled.

Tooty,

So then like I said before, if the 15% is not being reached this year, it means that the OOP applicants who have been accepted keep rejecting their offers. Which means that out of around 125 interviewed, everyone was offered a spot (assuming that all OOP applicants who were interviewed were either accepted or wait listed, and not out-right rejected).

Right?....This is what I'm understanding. A lot of people are saying that if an IP has a higher score than OOP, then the IP is invited instead....but you are saying that this is not the case?

I'm an OOP still on the WL, so clearly it's as you thought, as Dr. Walker has clearly stated that U of C won't come close to filling the 15% OOP seats. There may be 2 lists for the sake of organization, but like I said before, 15% is a maximum, not a minimum. So if there are let's say in a hypothetical situation, 10 OOP apps accepted out of 100 (for this just say U of C has 100 seats), and 3 wait list spots open up, but the next highest people on the list are 3 IPs then 3 more OOPs in that order. It'll just be the 3 IPs getting calls, depsite the fact only 10% of the seats are currently held by OOP, and not 15%.

Tooty,

So then like I said before, if the 15% is not being reached this year, it means that the OOP applicants who have been accepted keep rejecting their offers. Which means that out of around 125 interviewed, everyone was offered a spot (assuming that all OOP applicants who were interviewed were either accepted or wait listed, and not out-right rejected).

Right?....This is what I'm understanding. A lot of people are saying that if an IP has a higher score than OOP, then the IP is invited instead....but you are saying that this is not the case?

I'm an OOP still on the WL, so clearly it's as you thought, as Dr. Walker has clearly stated that U of C won't come close to filling the 15% OOP seats. There may be 2 lists for the sake of organization, but like I said before, 15% is a maximum, not a minimum. So if there are let's say in a hypothetical situation, 10 OOP apps accepted out of 100 (for this just say U of C has 100 seats), and 3 wait list spots open up, but the next highest people on the list are 3 IPs then 3 more OOPs in that order. It'll just be the 3 IPs getting calls, depsite the fact only 10% of the seats are currently held by OOP, and not 15%.

I'm saying missmathematics is correct and job is incorrect, according to the admissions office.

I can not find the original source for this...I have searched Dr. Walker's blog. Maybe I missed something. Maybe not :)

I'm saying missmathematics is correct and job is incorrect, according to the admissions office.

I wish I was incorrect, because then I would have been admitted by now.

You can believe whatever you want, but looking at Dr. Walker's 2011/2012 posts it's pretty evident that the way I'm explaining it is how it works. Also taking into account that there were OOP still on the wait-list last year even after the class was full (and there were less than 13% of the seats claimed by OOP).

Just using pure common sense, why would a provincial university admit an OOP applicant who has LOWER scores than an IP applicant that they actually have vested interest in since there's a higher possibility they will service their home province? And all this for the sake of maxing out their 15% "quota" ? (which it isn't, like everyone in this thread besides tooty has been trying to explain). Just makes no sense even from that stand point.

Archived