Premed 101 Forums

The most genius premed superstar you know?

I recently acquired 2012 Nobel price on procrastination.

Though I am very much appreciating this great honour, I also want to get the silver procrastination star on procrastinating life on premed 101. Unfortunately, that award has been given out to another fellow for 2012. I hope I can acquire it during 2013 procrastination championships.

http://www.youthscienceontario.ca/success-stories/chen-sun-wins-blyth-academy-scholorship-englands-cambridge-university

http://www.top20under20.ca/en/Awards/Awards2007-5.htm

both of those guys (david wang from the second one) went to my highschool. i wouldnt say i knew them, although i congratulated chen on winning some math contest that took place in switzerland (?) once, LOL. my circle of friends isnt nearly that ballin though.

I personally know someone who published 5 first author articles in Nature by the time he was 20 and scored a 47Z on the MCAT and in med got a 320 on his USMLE Step 1.

He is now nominated as for the Nobel Peace Prize for his critical roles of resolving conflict between we and the Martians.

His name is Chuck Norris.

That's still nothing compared to Ian Wong's achievements. He was even a physician who won the Nobel Prize in medicine before getting into med school.

That's still nothing compared to Ian Wong's achievements. He was even a physician who won the Nobel Prize in medicine before getting into med school.

Dont forget to add when ian wong wrote his MCAT he made both of his essay markers cry. One of his markers was a computer.

Alai is the "smartest person" i've met on here, based on the traditional verbal means we use to extrapolate intelligence. but so many people on here have different forms of intelligence that it's a fun but unanswerable question. straightforwardly, based on how most people assess intelligence, i'm prob the "smartest" on here, even though i'm not… some people have great spatial intelligence, social intelligence, musical intelligence… it's like i forgot about the dat, remember the day before, and aced the academic section, sitting by a friend who was on attempt 7… contrarily, completely failed the spatial portions and carving, while i have engineer friends who could cruise through the stuff

i won innumerable scholarships i submitted literally 10 minutes before due date, for examinations i procrastinate and kill them, im interested in to many things every day to study consistently… but i can sit for 15 hrs and do organic chem when pressure builds… typical delayed aversion struction motivation curve… i remember cramming for two midterms all night, doing a scholarship app from start to finish 5 min b4 deadline in between (one was a night class)… aced both tests and got the scholarship… i can only function well by multi-tasking… so procrastination works for some, more than you'd think… although of course some people are better day by day… disclaimer is that my studying is extremely elaborative so it's high retention versus passive learning methods… **** like pretending to teach a class in an empty classroom at 10 pm… i practically know every janitor on campus, lol.

Good luck with Dentistry then. :P

... ... … disclaimer is that my studying is extremely elaborative so it's high retention versus passive learning methods… **** like pretending to teach a class in an empty classroom at 10 pm… i practically know every janitor on campus, lol.

Lol. I remember I used to work in a Lab until 12 am. The janitor came inside. I was like "who are you?", and he was like "no, who are you?". This thing happened with four Janitors, we became "who are you" buddies.

A lot of premed "superstars" are far from being geniuses. What they tend to have is a high level of focus, a high level of discipline, a high level of short-term motivation, a reasonable level of organization, and above average intelligence in certain categories. A more "intelligent" person could lack some of these qualities and easily miss out on the opportunity of being such a superstar (ie. screwing up a semester or two due to procrastination, lack of short-term motivation, distraction, etc).

>3.8 GPA + a dozen ECAs + a highly outgoing personality doesn't require someone to be a genius.

In my view, "real" geniuses are a very uncommon occurrence.

Anyway, everyone knows at least a couple of people who excel at almost every single aspect of being a premed-->unbelievably high marks + relevant research + lots of volunteering +lots of job experience + lots of humanitarian trips + lots of hobbies + lots of awards + decent personality.

oh, i'm not a premed superstar, meds a stepping stone to combine with other training to be multi-modal and not be stuck doing one thing my whole life (i can't, i get bored after 3-5 years… and that's already balancing numerous side projects, focussing on one thing at a time is hard for me, so i'll be doing 20 to function optimally)

i don't even like the term superstar, why is university a glam show with superstars… we're all human, i prefer the company of people on my dodgeball team to achievement oriented superstars... i'm just passionate (maybe thats why ive never dated someone in sciences, humanities tends to use abilities versus superfluous awards to assess merit, i'm very meritocratic, i talk to an 18 year old on here who's got a head on his shoulders, and i talk to some med students who are so boring and unchallenging/interesting… and some who are

accumulating awards is easy, just needs hard work (i did get 30 scholarships in 2 years… sum really prestig… mostly just volume of work, and how well u can write good life stories… acing phil classes is way harder, doesn't utilize thought which can be mastered with brute force, you have to be elaborative, all the time, when you study

i loved advanced chem, its like phil, evolution was just random minutia, but there's a system to learning it… learning to attain… and shape, use information, generate new propositions, predictions, inferences is harder at first, but when you get it, it's easy, because it's all interconnected in the complex informational schemas you've created, i have a million paths to an answer, versus, just the answer, i can look at polymers and infer their properties, there's less idiosyncrasy… but unless you're forced to take on this style, it's hard to make the initial investment)

i also have an advantage in motivation over most people… my skill is a means to the ends of my lofty goals… which are more focussed on creating change that will help people… sounds cliche, but i've seen that nastiest most extreme suffering perpetually and over and over again… you imagine wanting to change a paradigm that forced you to pull staples out of arms… studying is a cruise

the reason i'm so seemingly smart is that well… to put it into short perspective, i can't see without meds that make short term memory borderline handicapped… so i use exclusively working memory out of necessity, ppl with severe add like me, typically have very low working memory, and mine is stratosphericly high for normal populations, even though i fit every other neuropsych condition to a tee, severely

the motivation stemming from more than wanting intitials is critical factor 2, because i use working memory exclusively everything i learn is elaborately, so encoding is easy because i incorporate it into vast crystallized intelligence (more or less knowledge base)… i've been telling people how you can do this forever, 2 years after the "first" studies came out, lol. i've had multiple formal examinations… and not bs ones, formal 8 hr neuropsych, and i weird out ppl, because my visuospatial intel, and short term memory collapsed (bottom 1 percentile), but other areas are thru the roof, my working memory for someone with adhd is unprecedented…

people don't understand that neuroplasticity is real, it can be extreme, very extreme, not minor changes you read in texts, but thats an experiential self evident form of knowing… but there's research out now at least… so while people don't believe they can get really smart using certain means, they were just never forced too, i found it serendipitously to adapt to having like no short term memory… 4 years ago i started learning english out of esl definition matching to get the 1 or 2 words i wudnt know of every 20… for real… i failed a ton of high school…

psychosocial factors like e.q., and belief systems are important too, stuff like: internal locus of control for positive events is important to… i cud go on forever, but i gotta get to work, ciao.

A lot of premed "superstars" are far from being geniuses. What they tend to have is a high level of focus, a high level of discipline, a high level of short-term motivation, a reasonable level of organization, and above average intelligence in certain categories. A more "intelligent" person could lack some of these qualities and easily miss out on the opportunity of being such a superstar (ie. screwing up a semester or two due to procrastination, lack of short-term motivation, distraction, etc).

>3.8 GPA + a dozen ECAs + a highly outgoing personality doesn't require someone to be a genius.

In my view, "real" geniuses are a very uncommon occurrence.

Anyway, everyone knows at least a couple of people who excel at almost every single aspect of being a premed-->unbelievably high marks + relevant research + lots of volunteering +lots of job experience + lots of humanitarian trips + lots of hobbies + lots of awards + decent personality.

oh, i'm not a premed superstar, meds a stepping stone to combine with other training to be multi-modal and not be stuck doing one thing my whole life (i can't, i get bored after 3-5 years… and that's already balancing numerous side projects, focussing on one thing at a time is hard for me, so i'll be doing 20 to function optimally), i don't even like the term superstar, why is university a glam show with superstars… we're all human, i prefer the company of people on my dodgeball team to achievement oriented superstars... i'm just passionate (maybe thats why ive never dated someone in sciences, humanities tends to use abilities versus superfluous awards to assess merit, i'm very meritocratic, i talk to an 18 year old on here who's got a head on his shoulders, and i talk to some med students who are so boring and unchallenging/interesting… and some who are, accumulating awards is easy, just needs hard work (i did get 30 scholarships in 2 years… sum really prestig… mostly just volume of work, and how well u can write good life stories… acing phil classes is way harder, doesn't utilize thought which can be mastered with brute force, you have to be elaborative, all the time, when you study, i loved advanced chem, its like phil, evolution was just mainutia, but there's a system to learning it… learning to attain… and shape, use information, generate new propositions, predictions, inferences is harder at first, but when you get it, it's easy, because it's all interconnected in the complex informational schemas you've created, i have a million paths to an answer, versus, just the answer, i can look at polymers and infer their properties, there's less idiosyncrasy… but unless you're forced to take on this style, it's hard to make the initial investment) my skill is a means to the ends of my lofty goals… which are more focussed on creating change that will help people… sounds cliche, but i've seen that nastiest most extreme suffering perpetually and over and over again… the reason i'm so seemingly smart is that well… to put it into short perspective, i can't see without meds that make short term memory borderline handicapped… so i use exclusively working memory out of necessity, ppl with severe add like me, typically have very low working memory, and mine is stratospheric, the motivation stemming from more than wanting intitials is critical factor 2, because i use working memory exclusively everything i learn is elaborately, so encoding is easy because i incorporate it into vast crystallized intelligence (more or less knowledge base)… i've been telling people how you can do this forever, 2 years after the "first" studies came out, lol. i've had multiple formal examinations… and not bs ones, formal 8 hr neuropsych, and i weird out ppl, because my visuospatial intel, and short term memory collapsed, but other areas are thru the roof, my working memory for someone with adhd is unprecedented… people don't understand that neuroplasticity is real, it can be extreme, very extreme, not minor changes you read in texts, but thats an experiential self evident form of knowing… but there's research out now at least… so while people don't believe they can get really smart using certain means, they were just never forced too, i found it serendipitously to adapt to having like no short term memory… 4 years ago i started learning english out of esl definition matching to get the 1 or 2 words i wudnt know of every 20… for real… i failed a ton of high school… internal locus of control for positive events is important to… i cud go on forever, but i gotta get to work, ciao.

Dude, can you use punctuation and paragraphing. I can see that you have something important to say, but one big block of text is painful.

Archived