Premed 101 Forums

Best Cell Phone Plan???

Hey guys,

What cell phone plan do you have? (Service provider, monthly bill, features, etc)

...Lately there are companies like WIND Mobile and Pulbic Mobile popping up which offer unlimited everything plans for very cheap...any experience with these?

Thanks!

When comparing reception, mobilicity is better than wind. But when comparing it to the rest of the big 5, then it's pretty bad.

Rogers owns Chatr and Fido. Chats has a good unlimited plan for $25 or $35 (unl texting) but no data. No contract required either. Since it uses Rogers 2G network, you can depend on the reception.

I currently have Fido with 6GB data + unlimited everything else with other add ons. I pay about 60+tax. It's hard to get a good plan today if you don't lock yourself in a contract. If anyone else know of any good plans, please do share as I'm venturing into other areas to find a better plan.

I have the same deal as trojjanhorse but with Rogers. I think this year I may use my phone as a hotspot instead of buying a separate Internet plan at my apartment, 6 gigs is enough per month to use a regular laptop to do almost anything you want. I don't particularly like Rogers but I don't think any phone companies are actually good.

When comparing reception, mobilicity is better than wind. But when comparing it to the rest of the big 5, then it's pretty bad.

Rogers owns Chatr and Fido. Chats has a good unlimited plan for $25 or $35 (unl texting) but no data. No contract required either. Since it uses Rogers 2G network, you can depend on the reception.

I currently have Fido with 6GB data + unlimited everything else with other add ons. I pay about 60+tax. It's hard to get a good plan today if you don't lock yourself in a contract. If anyone else know of any good plans, please do share as I'm venturing into other areas to find a better plan.

Are you referring to MY5 or MY10? As far as I know, Rogers doesn't have an Unlimited (talk and text to any number, both incoming and outgoing) plan.

I have Koodo, which I find quite good. I pay $25 for unlimited evenings and weekends and 100 weekday minutes with voicemail and caller ID, and then an extra $5 for unlimited texting. It's also Canada-wide calling, so I'm local everywhere in Canada.

Also I didn't have to sign a contract and I didn't have to pay for my phone because they have that tab thing going on.

I have Koodo, which I find quite good. I pay $25 for unlimited evenings and weekends and 100 weekday minutes with voicemail and caller ID, and then an extra $5 for unlimited texting. It's also Canada-wide calling, so I'm local everywhere in Canada.

Also I didn't have to sign a contract and I didn't have to pay for my phone because they have that tab thing going on.

I'm with Koodo too! I got the plan before they added 5 bucks to everything. So for 20 bucks, I have the same minutes and unlimited evenings and weekends, plus $10 for unlimited text, BBM, voicemail and caller ID.

Not too shabby for 33 bucks a month including tax!

Oh, forgot to mention that they have a smartphone plan (non iPhone) for 50 a month. 150 canada wide mins and all the lovely stuff that came with my plan, plus 1GB of data. I am going to switch to this plan once I start school, having it right now just seems like such a waste with the abundance of wifi hotspots downtown Toronto. Hehe.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OMA has 20$ for 250 in unlit'd incoming, 6pmeve/weekends, unltd texting, CID/VM

add 30$ for 6gb data.

this is telus

Yup.

The OMA plan with Telus is pretty competitive.

It is actually the "Government of Ontario" workers plan. Basically $50+tax for all the talk goodies + 6Gb LTE data. If you have a number with another company, that's a $150 port-in credit. They are also running a special 5000 Scene points bonus (5 movies, potentially worth ~$100 if you use them for IMAX).

Locked in contracts suck, but you'll be paying the same price for these plans whether you get a subsidized phone or bring your own.

The problem with Wind/Mobilicity is their frequency doesn't penetrate walls very well so you can forget about getting a signal deep inside a hospital or in the OR!

I'm with Telus (in BC). I have the following:

100 day time minutes (maybe 150?)

Evenings starting at 5pm (not 6pm), weekends unlimited

My fav 10 nationwide

Unlimited text/picture/video messaging

Voicemail 10

Caller ID

1 GB data (I've never gotten near this limit)

I pay $52/month + tax (~$58 total).

The BCMA plan is similar to that of OMA - very competitive. My only issue with it is that there is no nationwide/my fav type option. Considering I'm a resident with family and friends across the country, I use tons of long distance minutes and 'my fav' really comes in handy.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think wind mobile has come a long way and reception has definitely improved in Calgary. Been with them for a year now after ditching Rogers. Currently, they've extended their plans to end of January.

$29 Back To School Plan

Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing Local Talk

Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing Canada-Wide Text Messaging

MMS/Picture Messaging is PPU @ $0.2/message

Unlimited Data

Caller ID + All Calling Features

WindTab Up To $200

Unlimited Wish 25

Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing Local Talk

Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing Global Text Messaging

MMS/Picture Messaging is PPU @ $0.2/message

World Saver

100MB of Data ($5/100MB Overage)

Voicemail+/Caller ID + All Calling Features

WindTab Up To $200

Unlimited Wish 40

Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing Canada-Wide Talk + USA LD

Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing Global Text Messaging

Unlimited Incoming/Outgoing Canada/US Picture Messaging

Unlimited Data

World Saver

Voicemail+/Caller ID + All Calling Features

WindTab Up To $500

I'm on the 40 dollar plan and it's great being able to call my friends and family across the country anytime without thinking twice about the time of day. You get unlimited data and built in voicemail and callerid unlike a lot of other providers. Plus free USA LD calling and cheap rates for calling oversea too. Realistically, most residents train in a large city anyways so you will usually have reception. I will admit you can lose reception in some deep basements, but as a resident that spends a lot of my training in the ORs, I haven't had an issue at all at my hospitals streaming music and Netflix.

Koodo $30 + tax for:

150 minutes

7pm evenings and weekends

200 MB of Data

Unlimited texts

The data is enough to check emails or do some light web browsing but not for much more.

This is what I have. I actually think it's really good because there are ZERO long-distance charges. Also, I find the 200 MB of data to be enough because when I'm at home and on campus, there's wifi.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived