Premed 101 Forums

Doctor of Pharmacy

Tacrolimus

I understand that Doctor of Pharmacy has been introduced in UBC, U of T and U of A. It looks like it's based on clinical pharmacy and mostly for people who want to work in hospitals... (not that normal pharmacists can't.. they do work in hospitals too)

I'd love to know any pros/cons for doing this 14-20 month program after finishing BSc. Pharmacy. Anyone done this or heard of it?

Why not?

It will most likely give you an advantage even in retail pharmacy and probably other types of pharmacies too and also a higher salary. The only issue I see is that the pharmacy might not want to hire you just because your salary isn't in the range they can afford (?), but gives you a better chance of being hired instead of a BSc pharmacist.

I don't know how pharmacy works or whether it will be worth it or not. But from what I see, a <2 year program that allows you more opportunities sounds pretty good to me. Heck maybe you could even convince a pharmaceutical company to pay your tuition and you'd work for them for a couple years.

I understand that Doctor of Pharmacy has been introduced in UBC, U of T and U of A. It looks like it's based on clinical pharmacy and mostly for people who want to work in hospitals... (not that normal pharmacists can't.. they do work in hospitals too)

I'd love to know any pros/cons for doing this 14-20 month program after finishing BSc. Pharmacy. Anyone done this or heard of it?

pros

- more job opportunity (hospital, university clinical teacher, clinical director at a pharmaceutical company)

- a professional challenge for yourself.

- more knowledge about clinical pharmacotherapy.

- better working hours (less evening and weekend).

cons

- only 13 PharmD at U of A, around 10 at UBC and probably around 20 for U of T.

- an extra 20 months of studies

- salary is not automatically higher than a BScPharm.

Why not?

It will most likely give you an advantage even in retail pharmacy and probably other types of pharmacies too and also a higher salary. The only issue I see is that the pharmacy might not want to hire you just because your salary isn't in the range they can afford (?), but gives you a better chance of being hired instead of a BSc pharmacist.

I don't know how pharmacy works or whether it will be worth it or not. But from what I see, a <2 year program that allows you more opportunities sounds pretty good to me. Heck maybe you could even convince a pharmaceutical company to pay your tuition and you'd work for them for a couple years.

pros

- more job opportunity (hospital, university clinical teacher, clinical director at a pharmaceutical company)

- a professional challenge for yourself.

- more knowledge about clinical pharmacotherapy.

- better working hours (less evening and weekend).

cons

- only 13 PharmD at U of A, around 10 at UBC and probably around 20 for U of T.

- an extra 20 months of studies

- salary is not automatically higher than a BScPharm.

Thank you. You both made excellent points. Honestly, at this point, I think Doctor of Pharmacy is the way to go... not if you want higher wages, but if you want to beat all the other graduates in terms of getting a job. Having said that, it looks like it will be extremely competitive since the number of spots are very low.

Archived