Premed 101 Forums

Western (and Queen's) MCAT Leniency

Hey everyone,

Got some bittersweet news today with regards to my MCAT score, which lead me to this thread.

I just graduated this past year with a degree in biology. My stats are:

MCAT: (PS: 10, VR: 11, BS: 09, WS: S)

GPA: Most recent/ Best 2 years: 3.92

cGPA: 3.60

Now I understand that the published cutoffs for UWO include a 10 in BS. Does this mean that they will not even consider my application?

Also, will that 9 in BS inhibit me from Queen's as well?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure it's just a 30 overall so he should be fine with that. But like obi said the cutoffs are hard so if you had applied this year you wouldn't have been given an interview. That being said, the cutoffs do change from year to year so this year the bio cutoff might only be a 9. Unfortunately you won't know what the cutoffs are for this year until about a week before they send out interview invites.

I'm pretty sure it's just a 30 overall so he should be fine with that. But like obi said the cutoffs are hard so if you had applied this year you wouldn't have been given an interview. That being said, the cutoffs do change from year to year so this year the bio cutoff might only be a 9. Unfortunately you won't know what the cutoffs are for this year until about a week before they send out interview invites.

Yeah you never know - while the cut offs have been stable they can change - the cut offs are determined in part by the applicant pool (they can only interview so many people). Too bad on the BS :( you stats otherwise are very good. At least if needed you can repeat the MCAT. You can improve!

Hey everyone,

Got some bittersweet news today with regards to my MCAT score, which lead me to this thread.

I just graduated this past year with a degree in biology. My stats are:

MCAT: (PS: 10, VR: 11, BS: 09, WS: S)

GPA: Most recent/ Best 2 years: 3.92

cGPA: 3.60

Now I understand that the published cutoffs for UWO include a 10 in BS. Does this mean that they will not even consider my application?

Also, will that 9 in BS inhibit me from Queen's as well?

Thanks in advance.

You should apply to Mac for sure (and Queen's). But heck, if I were you, I'd apply to Mac, Queen's and Western. You're close enough on the Bio that in my mind, it's worth the extra few bucks.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot guys. Much Appreciated.

Honestly, I'd write the MCAT again if I had to, but as one would think, I really would prefer if I didn't have to!

So what I am gathering is that my best chances are Queen's, Mac and Ottawa (my 3 year wGPA is 3.86), while Western and U of T are a long shot?

I wouldn't apply to western, its not likely for them to lower their cutoffs this coming year, they didn't change much this past year from the previous one. Queens is a bit of a long shot too since they like students with high mcat's, but it's possible. Best shot is Mac. U of T gpa is on the low side and they don't care about mcat, Ottawa gpa is a bit low also. Having said that anything's possible and no one can predict, only make best guesses. Good luck!

Archived