Premed 101 Forums

Mechanical Engineer gone crazy and thinking about med

Hi,

Alright I have read a lot of posts but my story is a little unique. So asking for a little advise.

I have graduated from UofC with a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering. I have a GPA of 3.51 (not so great) but I have 3.7 in my final year. I am currently preparing for MCAT. I have quite a few EC activities that I am involved in. So ECs are not a problem.

Lets say I get a MCAT score of 34 (assume) what is the likelihoodness of getting into UofC med school? I have read somewhere in the forums that UofC prefers or relatively likes to give admission to 'engineers'. Please advise. Any wonderful thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

While I can't answer your question, I just wanted to say you're not crazy into wanting to go into meds. My MD/PhD program is in engineering...so I'm the same as you! Also a few students in my lab who were trained engineers are writing the MCAT this summer...... and I'm glad to see it. There should be more engineers in medicine!!!!!!!

Yeah, I think you are right. They also prefer people with a different perspective. Do you think my GPA will put me at an disadvantage?

I have heard through my friends that some people with engineering background and a GPA of around 3.3 got into UofC's med school. I am not sure how accurate this information is though.

Yeah, I think you are right. They also prefer people with a different perspective. Do you think my GPA will put me at an disadvantage?

I have heard through my friends that some people with engineering background and a GPA of around 3.3 got into UofC's med school

That's probably because they were IP for UofC. Your background doesn't make a difference as far as I know.

I think academic and experiential diversity in the medical profession is important. I am older than most on vBulletin and have multiple undergrad degrees plus a master of social work with tonnes of EC. I too am considering medical school. My WGPA isn't stellar (3.8 during my graduate degree) and my undergrad transcript is all over the map because of working and not being able to take enough courses during one session to count in the calculations. Grad school isn't counted and an undergrad transcript like mine puts me out of the running for schools like uOttawa because they want to see 3, 5 full credit years at the undergrad level.

That being said, I am still going to try other schools of medicine and see what happens. I think the medical community could use more bedside manner which is often why so many social workers are relied upon in hospitals. I love medical social work but I love medicine even more. :)

Archived