Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a chance?

Well, because there's not much about being a PA in Canada yet, I'm not sure about the average applicant's stats.

Basically I have a 3.5 GPA going into fourth year

ECs: 1 year soup kitchen (3 hrs/week), 1 year hospital volunteering (3 hrs/week), shadowing family doctor (36 hr/week for about 4 weeks), treasurer for course union at school (1 year and the upcoming year)

Awards: an entrance scholarship

Scholarly work: nothing

I feel like this is definitely not enough :( Please be honest with me. And if not, can you give me career options which I might be accepted into (doesn't matter if I like them or not...I can check that out before applying)

Hi Chinty,

I'm starting at Manitoba this September, so the applying/interview process is fairly recent for me. I think you have a good GPA to apply. Remember 3.0 is the minimum (at Manitoba, anyways), and usually people have higher than this.

I think if you have past volunteer experience, and perhaps current volunteerism as well, this helps.

Remember to look at the school you are wanting to apply to, to ensure you satisfy all of the educational requirements as well (courses, degree length, etc).

I don't see why you shouldn't at least apply. Sell yourself on your application, essay, etc. This is what will decide if you get an interview or not. I know from enquiring for this upcoming year, the acceptance rate for UofM was about 9.8%.

If you sell yourself well enough on your app, then you'll get an interview. This is where you can really "wow" them. Between the MMIs, essay and panel interviews, it's your time to shine. Interview day tends to judge you more off of you "soft skills" and critical thinking/analytic skills, etc.

Apply. You don't know if you don't try! :)

Archived