Premed 101 Forums

Lors for Calgary

Hi all:

So for OMSAS each referee fills out the CAF and writes you a reference letter.

For Calgary, do referees just fill out an online form? I see that under "References" on UCAN it says that your refs will be asked "specific and structured questions about you." So they just answer the questions, and don't write a separate letter?

Help appreciated.

aikigirl

Thanks FacelessMage- I knew I had seen the outlines somewhere, haha.

I feel like with the 3 specific areas that Calgary wants your referees to address profs really wouldn't be the best choices. Has anyone ever applied without using a prof as at least one reference?

I feel like with the 3 specific areas that Calgary wants your referees to address profs really wouldn't be the best choices. Has anyone ever applied without using a prof as at least one reference?

Yeah I didn't use a prof last year, but didn't get in. Although I scored fine on my references. It definitely wasn't the references that made me cut.

I used a volunteer supervisor as one of my references and my boss as the other. I got a really high score in the category for the volunteer supervisor and low in the one with my boss (the one for my boss was done really last minute though after another referee backed out a week before the app was due). It didn't get in, but I know what to improve on this year, so that's good.

I seem to remember Dr. Walker saying that it was good if you had a reference that wasn't a prof though, as long as they've known you for a good amount of time. It's more the ability to speak to your qualities that you're looking for in a reference letter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived