Premed 101 Forums

Last day before the MCAT (23rd of August)

Mustang92

Hey guys,

I'm writing on the 23rd, and I'm wondering what would be the best plan of action to prepare for the test.

I've done a total of 7 Practice exams, the last 3 being in the past 5 days.

My scores are as follows: (in P/VR/BS/WS form)

AAMC 10 (July 28th) : 8/11/10 P(4/4)

-Fresh off prep course, got lucky with PS and BS (hadn't done much)

TPR 1 (July 31st): 7/9/11 R(4/6)

TPR 2 (August 2nd): 6/9/9 S(5/6)

- This was the wake up call to actually read/study the content

AAMC 3 (August 12th): 10/11/11 (Skipped writing)

AAMC 5 (August 17th): 10/11/9 (pending at a K 0/3 ... hopefully not done

marking)

AAMC 7 (August 19th): 13(luck)/10/11 S(5/6)

AAMC 11 (August 21st/Today): 10/10/12 (skipped writing)

I was planning on reviewing some more biology tonight (I know about 50% of the physiology/nervous systems.. there's so much) and doing a practice test tomorrow morning then relaxing.

I was confident in VR before (easily satisfied with an 11), but it's been on the decline recently so it's starting to worry me. Also I feel like I may be better off polishing my PS to be able to have extra time to double check answers.

In all honesty I'd be perfectly happy with a 10/11/10 R ; I messed up first year pretty badly so I'm gunning for the schools that take the best two years/use weighted GPAs.

I have two questions for you guys; given my standing now, what do you think I should focus on in my content review tomorrow, and do you think it's worth it to brush up on real world examples for the writing prompts? My course recommended to do so, but I've been getting (likely inflated) stellar scores using broad and hypothetical examples so far; and these are the markers from the same company that advocates the aforementioned techniques.

Any help is appreciated, including a regret you've had about a past MCAT or a warning to not burn out :D .

Don't do any studying the day before. One day won't make a difference when it comes to content, but it will make a world of difference for your mental health.

If you do end up studying, keep it at a minimum.

This is good advice.

One day will not make a difference, run through your formulas and maybe a couple things you're unsure of for 10-20 minutes.

Studying tomorrow will do you more harm than good. Your VR looks exceptional BTW, I think you will be more than fine.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yeah I think i got ahead of myself, I'm really tired and I just got up.

I may just focus on reading Bio / memorizing hormones (haven't even started).

Good luck everyone! Don't psych yourselves out!

Edit:You guys should try listening to the Audio Osmosis sections in which you believe you are weak in; it's good for a light refresher.

How's everyone feeling for writing in 26 hours from now (1 pm start time)?

Feeling relaxed and confident for tomorrow, no matter what they throw at me. Have a few weaknesses but theres no point in stressing over them. Relaxing all day today, no books!

We've all studied so hard, let's kill this test tomorrow.

We can always take the test again, even though i hope we don't have to lol...

im writing tmrw too :( where are u guys writing?

also.. this is kind of late, but do u guys have any advice for verbal? i've been getting lower marks (consistently 1-2 lower) for the AAMC tests than EK tests :(

keep a clear mind. and be confident. you can do it! people surprise themselves all the time on test day.

Good luck everyone

Good luck everyone! What I've noticed is that if you're consistently running out of time, allocate a larger proportion to question answering than passage reading (don't reread a sentence more than once, just power through). I find half of the knowledge you get out of the passage is useless to the questions and you can always use the extra question time to go back to specific sections/paragraphs.

Edit: I'm writing at 1pm at 2601 Mccowan, it's a tiny office i checked it out today.

@Mustang92, could you please tell us about your experience at the 2601 McCowan location? I have a test scheduled there but on Sept. 7th.

Also, how did everyone's test go (those who did it on the 23rd)?

lol they are still writing it, afternoon sitting. Must be on verbal section.

Twas alrightt, I don't know how to feel because everyone is telling me physics was really tough but I didn't find any section especially hard. I'll only find out how i did when the results come out so I don't wanna jinx it; but i believe it wasn't the hardest test I've written.

The location isn't bad, you'll write with abut 10 other people in the room, the ear phones worked like a charm. However the power went out for two girls so I don't know how it ended up for them (in the middle of bio.. rough).

Twas alrightt, I don't know how to feel because everyone is telling me physics was really tough but I didn't find any section especially hard. I'll only find out how i did when the results come out so I don't wanna jinx it; but i believe it wasn't the hardest test I've written.

The location isn't bad, you'll write with abut 10 other people in the room, the ear phones worked like a charm. However the power went out for two girls so I don't know how it ended up for them (in the middle of bio.. rough).

I wrote at 2061 too! Was the dude in the black shirt :P .

PS - Fairly tough, must say I guessed more than i'd have liked, hoping for a 10 and this is my best section.

VS - Not as bad as I thought, most of the passages were easier to read, probably means the curve is tougher. Praying to god for a 10

BS - Felt really easy, won't say too much about the subjects so I don't get in trouble. Definitely not as tough as some others make it out to be, but thats probably because we had it easy compared to others. Gimmie a 10/11 and I'm ecstatic.

Writing sample - who cares :rolleyes: .

BTW for those of you writing at 2061, it is amazing, the people there were joking around and very friendly. I probably would have done worse if everyone there wasn't so nice.

The rooms are small,I was put in a room of 4 and didn't hear a thing. Probably the best place to write. I will likely have to go back there to write again in January :D .

So glad we are DONE

Didn't finish ps....hoping for a 9 expecting a 8 or 7...

(sucks because I was ranging from 10-12 on practice exams). Thought it was pretty tough.

VR was fine, BS was a fair but I'm not good at ochem so I'm hoping for a 10 in BS and 11 in VR.

Really sad about PS, should have used my time better.

same.. ran out of time for PS. thought it was really hard. i was averaging 10~12 in aamc too. thought verbal was easy and mixed feeling about BS

Really? I thought the PS section was pretty easy, VR's gonna have a brutal curve, BS was okay. WS...at least the prompts were decently easy...

If anyone writes at 265 Rimrock, it was a pretty nice location, very clean, the headphones were great and the computers, while not the greatest, were perfectly fine. People were nice too. However, I wouldn't recommend writing there in warmer weather - no AC means it would be brutal in June/July.

Wrote at 3080 Yonge St. - great centre, registration was very quick, A/C, fountain and washroom just outside the rooms - very satisfied.

Ahhh, PS... Idk what happened here it definitely seemed harder than all the AAMC PS sections I've done so hoping for a 10 at least. Certainly guessed a few.

VR - not as bad/boring as practice but will probably be a bad curve, many will be disappointed :(

WS - BS as usual

BS - thought this was okay, orgo had a few qsns I was unsure and a few very terribly worded bio qsns, but overall not bad.

All in all, was not as brutual as I thought it would be. Hoping for 30+

is it a good idea to stop doing AAMC FLs a week before actual exam to restore mental stamina cuz I have found that doing 3 exams in week, a gap of a day or two left me exhausted for the next morning.

P.S I am writing on Sept 6th, so no more AAMC FLs in sept?

Archived