Premed 101 Forums

Community Medicine-Salary in Ontario or Federal !

duha

Hi there,

Some one have any idea about an income of Community Medicine Physician in Ontario, or federal as health officier ?

I knew, full time CM physician income in Quebec is about 150k-170k with some social advantages... Hope that could be at least the same in Ontario ???

Many thanks in advance !

Duha

• 3 weeks later...

I knew, full time CM physician income in Quebec is about 150k-170k with some social advantages... Hope that could be at least the same in Ontario ???

No clue about CM salary anywhere.

But I'm pretty damned sure that there's no such job that's paid less in ON as compared to QC.

Hope it helps.

Thanks so much guy !

Anyone have any idea about what kind of attitude and/or aptitude...needed for CM job ?

This filed seem nice because no call, 9-5 office work, vacation...but I really hate to deal with media.

Any comments will be very appreciated !

duha

MOH's certainly take call, though it's more or less exclusively from home. Dealing with the media is also a big part of the job.

I don't know that I can speak to the particular aptitudes needed for the job, but you have to work well with others and be alright with lots of meetings and webinars and discussions and planning.

Thanks so much guy !

Anyone have any idea about what kind of attitude and/or aptitude...needed for CM job ?

This filed seem nice because no call, 9-5 office work, vacation...but I really hate to deal with media.

Any comments will be very appreciated !

duha

Dealing with media is quite a bit of the job - arguably communicating with the public IS the central aspect of the job :)

The MOH jobs pay the best. Pay is around 200-300k with bonuses and a 9-5 job and benefits. As you work your way up to regional, provincial, national, and international, then the pay decreases. However you can get involved in a lot of REALLY cool things, like health policy, doing epi research that can change clinical practice and how things are run, or implement new health initiatives like safe injection sites, etc. You can bring about a lot of change with this program.

I'm not sure what you mean with respect to pay. Certainly the federal government tends to pay less, but then the positions are different (i.e. not MOH). Otherwise it depends on the province and how it organizes its public health units - this is usually done on a regional/health district level, but in Ontario public health is integrated into municipal government. I think it's fair to say that MOHs make as much or more than many family physicians and with a much easier lifestyle.

There are absolutely provincial MOHs; not sure where you're getting that idea. Some larger units also have a staff of associate MOHs.

Again, the pay varies considerably among provinces, though I admit I don't know how this applies to starting salaries. It's true that incorporation is not an option for an MOH, but that could be possible for any FFS earnings through any kind of side clinical practice. Lack of incorporation also means lack of overhead, so it's hard to say whether it makes much difference on balance.

Archived