Premed 101 Forums

Western 60/40 Rule

zainy1993

I was just wondering whether the 60/40 Western rule will apply to me.

I just transferred from U of T to York for chemistry., and I didnt get some of my first year credits like the one for CHEM1001, first year calculus and introduction into psychology. I have to repeat these courses again.

Because of this I cant take courses in biology, chemistry, psychology etc. at the 2000 level.

So im taking all 1000 level courses this year, I have 7 science courses (assuming computer science will count as one) and 3 non-science courses and I was wondering whether the 60/40 rule will apply. Are there any U.S. medical schools that have something similar to Westerns 60/40 rule and that wont count this year towards my cGPA or am I safe? I'm not really sure whether to say I'm in first year or second year since I transferred, but I'm taking all these first year courses.

I also got waived 33 credits at York.

I was just wondering whether the 60/40 Western rule will apply to me.

I just transferred from U of T to York for chemistry., and I didnt get some of my first year credits like the one for CHEM1001, first year calculus and introduction into psychology. I have to repeat these courses again.

Because of this I cant take courses in biology, chemistry, psychology etc. at the 2000 level.

So im taking all 1000 level courses this year, I have 7 science courses (assuming computer science will count as one) and 3 non-science courses and I was wondering whether the 60/40 rule will apply. Are there any U.S. medical schools that have something similar to Westerns 60/40 rule and that wont count this year towards my cGPA or am I safe? I'm not really sure whether to say I'm in first year or second year since I transferred, but I'm taking all these first year courses.

I also got waived 33 credits at York.

Tricky cases like this you always have to ask at the office - my take is you are now the first year of your new degree and thus you are a first year student again (the only year the 3/5 cannot affect you). Still best to check.

Just to be technically correct I will say the rule is a 3/5 credits rule not 40/60% of the courses etc. Reason being if you take more than 5.0 credits in a year then it is possible to met Westerns regulations even though you have less than 60% of your credits at that year level. Small point but I have seen people stress over that :)

Tricky cases like this you always have to ask at the office - my take is you are now the first year of your new degree and thus you are a first year student again (the only year the 3/5 cannot affect you). Still best to check.

Just to be technically correct I will say the rule is a 3/5 credits rule not 40/60% of the courses etc. Reason being if you take more than 5.0 credits in a year then it is possible to met Westerns regulations even though you have less than 60% of your credits at that year level. Small point but I have seen people stress over that :)

What days are you at the office? :P

Archived