Premed 101 Forums

Rewrite??

Germany

Hey all,

I wrote my mcat on aug 23. I did not finish the verbal section. I barely read the last passage even. I just guessed on the ones I didn't read since I only had few minutes left. I'm wondering if I should rewrite this Sept 11. I know that's really soon, but my major mistake in verbal this time was that I didn't move on. Had I done that, I would've gotten a lot higher. I have a place reserved for Sept 11, but I'm not sure if I should go through with this...Should I just wait for my results to come out and rewrite next year if necessary? I'm currently entering third year and I'm not REALLY in a rush to get in after my third year. I wouldn't mind staying a 4th.

Any opinions/advice are appreciated. Thank you !

$250 is a fair bit of money, son. If you have it tied up in an exam you should probably go through with it. Since you recently did the MCAT you will have a much better understanding of actual testing conditions. This can only benefit you. So go for it!

I'm really sorry to hear that - it pretty much describes my worst nightmare of test day.

You should check with AAMC but I'm pretty sure you can't re-write for 6months… that's just their policy :(

Good luck anyways and look into applying to the school that don't require MCAT or don't have very high requirements for it (uOttawa, McMasters, NOSM, McGill…)

I'm really sorry to hear that - it pretty much describes my worst nightmare of test day.

You should check with AAMC but I'm pretty sure you can't re-write for 6months… that's just their policy :(

Good luck anyways and look into applying to the school that don't require MCAT or don't have very high requirements for it (uOttawa, McMasters, NOSM, McGill…)

Not true...

@master100 is totally right - sorry Germany, must of been thinking of another test. Re-read the mcat essentials this morning (writing sat :S!) and you can write 3 times a year and only have to wait 48h before scheduling another test! So I would definitively echo previous support for the re-write :) - especially if you think you could do better on the verbal! I would imagine most adcoms would be able to tell that something went wrong the first time and it wasn't a fair reflection of your ability. Go kick some MCAT-butt! ;)

Well, I can tell you I felt like I was in the same boat as you... I had 5 minutes left for my last passage, and I speed-read through it, answered the few easy questions, and guessed the rest. I felt like I bombed verbal because of that, but I ended up with an 11....

Just so you know, princeton/kaplan even have a strategy whereby you guess on one of the passages.

If I were in your shoes, I would re-write it ONLY if you feel that you didn't answer the other 6 passages well.. if verbal is your only concern, the scores can sometimes surprise you (in a nice way)...

Anyway, the decision is yours,

Hey all,

I wrote my mcat on aug 23. I did not finish the verbal section. I barely read the last passage even. I just guessed on the ones I didn't read since I only had few minutes left. I'm wondering if I should rewrite this Sept 11. I know that's really soon, but my major mistake in verbal this time was that I didn't move on. Had I done that, I would've gotten a lot higher. I have a place reserved for Sept 11, but I'm not sure if I should go through with this...Should I just wait for my results to come out and rewrite next year if necessary? I'm currently entering third year and I'm not REALLY in a rush to get in after my third year. I wouldn't mind staying a 4th.

Any opinions/advice are appreciated. Thank you !

Are you allowed to rewrite another MCAT before your scores are released? I never knew that..

Archived