Premed 101 Forums

Quebec and the Not Withstanding clause for MD's

NLengr

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, PQ and CAQ think we live in a bubble where everyone that doesn't want to stay in Quebec because the opportunities are not as good as anywhere else is the enemy. -.- It shows throughout many, if not all, of their politics in any sector of activity. Seriously. The worst is that most of the province will probably give them their votes, because everyone wants to off Charest or something and he's become the poster guy for corruption in the public's eye.

Guess for whom I WON'T vote :P

I don't think I can roll my eyes enough at this. Just.. Wow. What an idiot. But many people actually would be in favour of that, which is the scary part.

Because people don't have a f***ing clue what really goes on in medicine. It's much easier to just whine and complain. Of course all docs are machines and it doesn't matter if they're to work themselves mad or are sent in remote areas where they never wanted to go (of course some docs do want to work there!).

Politicians tend to be idiots. And they think they can push doctors around or threaten them. I love Quebec. I would hope to practice in an entirely francophone community.

I am also doing my USMLEs. I have an exit strategy if needed. It is most unfortunate that I even need to consider having one.

Politicians tend to be idiots. And they think they can push doctors around or threaten them. I love Quebec. I would hope to practice in an entirely francophone community.

I am also doing my USMLEs. I have an exit strategy if needed. It is most unfortunate that I even need to consider having one.

When a good portion of your students have to even CONSIDER having an exit strategy, it's becoming really sad.

I'm trying to work out one or two in the event that PQ is elected by majority with CAQ in the opposition -.- I would LOVE to stay where I am. I love the nature, the small city, the language!

No, politicians think that people are idiots.

When a good portion of your students have to even CONSIDER having an exit strategy, it's becoming really sad.

I'm trying to work out one or two in the event that PQ is elected by majority with CAQ in the opposition -.- I would LOVE to stay where I am. I love the nature, the small city, the language!

I have exit strategies too... My parents and sister live in Gatineau. Let's say UO could be pretty attractive for residency (or elsewhere) when I get there even though Montreal is where I want to stay...

"The largest portion of departing McGill MDs — nearly half of those who left Quebec — went to Ontario"

LOL. This is why some of the Ontario schools don't have IP preference. They know graduates will stay regardless :D

When the Anglos feel threatened, they vote with their feet. So many are being scared all over again. The politician grin behind closed doors as they make the society more isolated. In the 1970s there was an exodus of doctors to Ontario. And now, there will be another exodus. Many Anglo families in Quebec who raised perfectly bilingual childrens into adulthood ensured that their children developed careers and new roots in other parts of Canada or in the USA.

When graduates leave the only province they have ever known uprooting themselves from friends and family, it has to be for pretty solid reasons.

When the Anglos feel threatened, they vote with their feet. So many are being scared all over again. The politician grin behind closed doors as tghey make the society more isolated. In the 1970s there was an exodus of doctors to Ontario. And now, there will be another exodus. Many Anglo families in Quebec who raised perfectly bilingual childrens into adulthood ensured that their children developed careers and new roots in other parts of Canada or in the USA.

When graduates leave the only province they have ever known uprooting themselves form friends and family, it has to be for pretty solid reasons.

And many Anglos were considering voting to the CAQ, smart move from the CAQ.

I'd say that sounds fair. I mean, if students from Québec have it easier in terms of getting into medical school (by having lower admissions averages and such), they should practice there seeing as the whole reason for in province students having a lower admission average than others is so that more students who are from Québec will become doctors and since that is where they are from, they will most likely stay.

However, I'm not too sure if McGill lowers their averages for Québec students but I know for a fact other schools in the Quénbec do. Also, I feel that maritime provinces and other schools who lower the acceptance average for in province students should do this too.

When the Anglos feel threatened, they vote with their feet. So many are being scared all over again. The politician grin behind closed doors as tghey make the society more isolated. In the 1970s there was an exodus of doctors to Ontario. And now, there will be another exodus. Many Anglo families in Quebec who raised perfectly bilingual childrens into adulthood ensured that their children developed careers and new roots in other parts of Canada or in the USA.

When graduates leave the only province they have ever known uprooting themselves form friends and family, it has to be for pretty solid reasons.

I'm curious to what those reasons are?

I'd say that sounds fair. I mean, if students from Québec have it easier in terms of getting into medical school (by having lower admissions averages and such), they should practice there seeing as the whole reason for in province students having a lower admission average than others is so that more students who are from Québec will become doctors and since that is where they are from, they will most likely stay.

However, I'm not too sure if McGill lowers their averages for Québec students but I know for a fact other schools in the Quénbec do. Also, I feel that maritime provinces and other schools who lower the acceptance average for in province students should do this too.

Nearly all Canadian schools have lower cut-offs for In-Province applicants.

That's ridiculous! MDs should have the right to practice anywhere in Canada they choose. If the Quebec government wants to make more QMGs remain in Quebec, then they should offer more jobs and raise their wages to make it competitive.

You frenchies seem to want your cake and to eat it too.

Your tuition for everything is one of if not THE lowest in all of Canada by a wide margin so I'd say the income return is comparable to the investment that you need to put in so what more do you want?

Oh and people chos to do medical school in Quebec. They had other options and they knew upfront what the earning potential was in Quebec so they don't seem to mind staying for the low tuition then bailing for the higher incomes. So what"/ wrong with gov't trying to ensure the investment they made in their medical graduates stays in Quebec? Seems like a reasonable desire?

They leave b/c they don\t want to be treated like second class citizens, they want their children to establish roots in an open society in which they feel comfortable, where they can establish themselves as adults and not feel they may be threatened at a later date. While there is no comparison to the former Rodesia, now Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe is a horrible place to live for the vast majority of citizens, except for the political, military and police elite. Uganda too played its games decades ago.

Nobody wants to become a pawn to the chess game of the politicans in Quebec. People, citizens, can easily be made to be uncomfortable - and this is happening as I write. Regardless of the election results, there will be fallout. Worse fallout, depending upon the election results. The property values in Montreal in the months to come shall be the barometer.

I am being forced to consider a potential exit strategy. I am beginning to feel uncomfortable with the political climate. I am committed to Quebec, however, I am committed to protecting my personal, social and professional future and that of my future children. Although hard, it is so much easier to establish one's professional life in a new location at the very beginnning than feeling obliged to leave after 10 years of practice.

On a different note, I take exception to the insinuation that our standards in Quebec for acceptance into med school being a walk in the park compared to other provinces.

Archived