Premed 101 Forums

Quebec and the Not Withstanding clause for MD's

NLengr

Probably due to the lack of family doctors in Quebec (33% of population does not have a personal fam. doc.), the government becomes more aware of this issue and wants to oblige Quebec-trained doctors to stay. It is reasonable from some perspective, since due to the language issue, other doctors from other provinces could not move in to make up for the net loss.

Personally, I would practice in Quebec and most likely in Montreal. I am aware that the pay is lower and the work condition is not so great, but the lower tuition fee of med school (3000 around per year) has rendered med school much more accessible and the save of 2 years for cegep students without doing a bachelor in science has become one of the attrative point of Quebec med schools.

p.s: It is not "easier" to get into Quebec med schools...The gradings are based on how far you are away from the average and the strength of your classmates...You could have 99% in a course but end up having a lower r score than you expected. The r-score is fairer than GPA, because you could simply have an easy program and end up with easy-going professors rather than choosing a more difficult program and having to be stuck up with difficult professors.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is Quebec the most messed up province? (and please, no insulting comments).

One of several:

Well said. Quebec is an absolute leech to Canada as a whole.

People will bash Ontario for their economic woes as of late and rightly so (we're a mess here) but Ontario still contributes upwards of 40% into equalization and receives just 15% back. Quebec, on the other hand, receives more than any other province while contributing peanuts. This year alone, Quebec is expected to contribute $2.9B and receive $7.4B. They are an absolute leech.

It would be nice if Quebec was kicked out of Canada. They are just too annoying.

Xenophobic attitude stems from the rest of Canada and Quebec alike. If there was more reception to French culture, there wouldn't be a separatist sentiment. If there was more reception to English culture, there wouldn't be ignorant posts demanding Quebec to leave. And don't tell me about the economy because I would be the first to demand that my province becomes fiscally responsible for once.

We are all Canadians et quelques uns sont Quebecois. Shame on divisive parties for creating division and xenophobia. Shame on us for gobbling it up and turning on fellow Canadians for whom the majority are federalists. These are not Canadian ideals and values. By raging against Quebec, by raging against Canada, we are playing right into Marois' hands.

Marois' strategy is to "sharpen the contradictions" to attempt to inflame opinion and hence whip up the kind of sentiment described above. But as I recall the PQ had all sorts of plans for a Quebec "constitution" when they were last in government and little came of it. As ever, there will only be a referendum when "winning conditions" are present and that isn't an especially likely prospect these days. In the end, Marois - if she wins - will simply be running a government comme les autres and face all the hard realities and problems that come with it (whatever Parizeau might think, "money" always wins over increasingly pie-in-the-sky sovereigntist delusion - and that ethnic vote isn't going away). Especially if she ends up in a minority dependent on Francois Legault.

As an aside, it's weird to think that in a year or two there will be undergrads who weren't even born at the time of the Oct 1995 referendum. And there are some (many? most?) med students now who don't even remember it.

I feel old. :(

As an aside, it's weird to think that in a year or two there will be undergrads who weren't even born at the time of the Oct 1995 referendum. And there are some (many? most?) med students now who don't even remember it.

I feel old. :(

I was thinking just that yesterday... Most of my classmates were around 5 years old in 1995 so they don't really remember. I wasn't old enough to vote yet but I do remember very well.

Thankfully I was well away from being old enough to vote too. :D

As a further aside, I highly recommend the documentary "Point de rupture/Breaking Point" which was made to mark the 10th anniversary of the vote. I don't know that a slim "yes" vote would have actually led to secession - in fact, I doubt it would - but the sheer unpredictability was pretty tense.

I was thinking just that yesterday... Most of my classmates were around 5 years old in 1995 so they don't really remember. I wasn't old enough to vote yet but I do remember very well.

I remember it well also. I was scared for what it meant for Canada as a whole, and stayed up watching the results come in. I was 8 at the time, and my parents kept us informed about the goings on in the world.

Odd to think about the fact that I'm going to go to university with people who were in diapers, or not even yet born, when that happened. Geez, many of them probably don't even remember the ice storm of '98...

I remember it well also. I was scared for what it meant for Canada as a whole, and stayed up watching the results come in. I was 8 at the time, and my parents kept us informed about the goings on in the world.

Odd to think about the fact that I'm going to go to university with people who were in diapers, or not even yet born, when that happened. Geez, many of them probably don't even remember the ice storm of '98...

I remember the referendum, and how the "Non" got it close. I was still a kid, and I was happy that the "Non" won. The week before, polls were indicating a Yes vote.

I also remember "la tempete du verglas", we have like one month of school off. :D Even after we went back to school (I was sad :P), there was a snow storm on Friday, Jan 22, so we really got a month off that Winter. :D

Xenophobic attitude stems from the rest of Canada and Quebec alike. If there was more reception to French culture, there wouldn't be a separatist sentiment. If there was more reception to English culture, there wouldn't be ignorant posts demanding Quebec to leave. And don't tell me about the economy because I would be the first to demand that my province becomes fiscally responsible for once.

We are all Canadians et quelques uns sont Quebecois. Shame on divisive parties for creating division and xenophobia. Shame on us for gobbling it up and turning on fellow Canadians for whom the majority are federalists. These are not Canadian ideals and values. By raging against Quebec, by raging against Canada, we are playing right into Marois' hands.

No. Multiculturalism is a stupid idea that creates more problems than it solves. I want Quebec out.

I was 14 at the time and living with my parents in Gatineau near Ottawa so I watched the results with some fear. It's interesting the age differences - it's not as obvious this year, but last year, about 140 out of 180 students in my class were around 10 years younger than me!

Archived