Premed 101 Forums

Question regarding applying after year one

Guest teamzissou

Guest teamzissou

Hey everyone,

I'm a first year student at the U of A, and if I attain a high GPA and MCAT scores, I'm hoping to apply to medical school during my second year. The only concern is the lack of pre-req's I am taking my first year. I will be taking stats (3 cr.), physics (6 cr.), and biochem (3 cr.) in my second year. I am taking all the other pre-reqs this year. Anyways, I know that if an applicant is missing a pre-req, their application is still considered as long as they take that pre-req during the year of application. In my case, would my application still be considered even though I will be taking 12 credits of pre-reqs during my year of application?

Applying during second year is only my goal, and I am not deadset upon it, as I know how brutally competitive it is to get in after second year, but I'm still hoping to figure this out in case I think I'm a competitive enough applicant out of first year.

Thanks!

Guest summervirus

Yes, you can still apply provided that you complete all the prereqs this year (as you said). Your application, which includes your supporting documents and grades to date willl be used to determine if you merit an interview. Thereafter, you'll have to send in a transcript that includes your final grades for the fall and winter semesters and those will be reviewed before the faculty releases their decision regarding admission.

Archived