Premed 101 Forums

Do Minors Help You Stand Out?

theboywho2

The impression I have, in terms of completing a minor, is that it shows you have a specific interest outside of your major. Random courses from any department don't allow you, personally, to explore any other topic in depth. I think it depends entirely on your goals and what aspirations you have. If you want to be a Psychiatrist one day, perhaps it's not a bad idea to minor in psychology. However, maybe you just like a different field and want to be able to pursue those classes for your own benefit.

I'm sure that Medical School isn't to concerned with what students have minors in or not. But I think a minor can add depth to your degree and hopefully make you a better-rounded applicant (especially if you pursue your minor a bit, in terms of research or work experience).

It won't help you I think objectively but you know having many interestes can often pop in interiviews and in ways that can slightly help in my experience :)

I wouldn't take one though unless you are actually interested in the area of concern. GPA would still trump everything else and it is hard to get really high marks is a cluster of courses that you have no real interest in.

Archived