Premed 101 Forums

Rate these ECs please

hsaid84

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys could rate the ECs I have thus far. Below is a list in no specific order. Any feedback would be appreciated, good or bad i.e. what things would look good on to an adcomm, and what things i should add to the list to help my application.

Volunteer at local branch of Center for Victims of torture, taught ESL and Citizenship class - 2 years

Tutor for disadvantaged inner city children - 5 years

LSAT tutor - 2 year

Work experience - 2 years as night manager of small call center, 7 years of sales/customer service experience.

Member of Muslim Society at university - 2 years

7virtues perfume sales volunteer (creates jobs in afghanistan, as well as makes donations) - 2 years

Shadowed anesthesiologist for 2 summers

Volunteer with at CIBC mortgages for one summer

Mens league hockey for 5 years

University basketball 1 year

Fundraising for local mosques, over 5000 dollars over 3 years

Afghan Council member at university 2 years

2 years lab assistant

Founder of local chess club, about 15-20 members so far - 1 year

Hello old friend,

Aside from not having any experience in direct patient contact or working in a clinical setting (nursing home, hospital etc.) you look pretty stacked. I'm not sure if shadowing a physician counts toward the former categories, but nevertheless your EC's are better than 95% of what I've seen on here, definitely.

Hello old friend,

Aside from not having any experience in direct patient contact or working in a clinical setting (nursing home, hospital etc.) you look pretty stacked. I'm not sure if shadowing a physician counts toward the former categories, but nevertheless your EC's are better than 95% of what I've seen on here, definitely.

Alright, truce. Appreciate the non-troll input.

The variety and the long term commitment, of which you have both, they like to see.

If you don't get in this round, I'd recommend you get a position in a nursing home or perhaps a porter job in a hospital until next cycle.

Im not applying this round. I have 2 years to go. Mature student, doing 2nd degree. Trying to get a volunteer position with a doc though. I thought my ECs were weak because some people have crazy stuff on here. NSERCs, Work/Volunteer abroad, National athlete sometimes.

The "abroad" doesn't make a difference. Yours stand out to me more and that's what counts. You definitely have enough to get big points in the EC category, now it just depends on your MCAT and GPA.

Question for others viewing, should he list his LSAT score on his summary?

GPA is around 4. MCAT, haven't written yet. No, I won't list my LSAT score because it has little relevance to the application. If you're subtly trolling again, I will again cease to reply so save yourself the trouble. No one thought you were clever last round, no one will think you're clever this round.

GPA is around 4. MCAT, haven't written yet. No, I won't list my LSAT score because it has little relevance to the application. If you're subtly trolling again, I will again cease to reply so save yourself the trouble. No one thought you were clever last round, no one will think you're clever this round.

You can't stop being an ass can you? You have to realize from my perspective it seems like you are trolling hardcore at this point. The troll who doesn't stop accusing people of trolling no matter how polite and sincere they try to be.

No matter how many times I look at what I posted I cannot see how anyone but the most paranoid person could have interpreted that as someone taking a shot at them.

"No one thought you were clever last round, no one will think you're clever this round" - I mean do you really think that was called for? We just "made up" and I was giving you the best advice I could, and that's what I get.

Informing them that you were 99th percentile on the LSAT tells them that you are very skilled in the areas which a test like that, tests. Things which are now largely omitted from the upcoming MCAT, the areas in which you said lawyers are largely more skilled than doctors. On top of that, I didn't even say "include your LSAT", I asked the guys here if that's something that should be included. It was a legitimate inquiry, but I fear that even if we resolve this again - you're just going to flip out at me for something again in the not too distant future. Seriously man someone must have trolled you super hard one day, because I think this may be a problem. I don't understand you and I don't think I will, and honestly I think you might be insane. But as you so often do, I wish you luck nonetheless.

I'm definitely not trying to get into a ***** match with you but seriously man, you need to get over the wimpy and whininess in your post.

Who cares? Surely you have bigger worries than what someone on the Internet says about you?

Just let it good :)

On that note, PM me your thoughts on the best ultra books for the $1000-$1200 range :D

You can't stop being an ass can you? You have to realize from my perspective it seems like you are trolling hardcore at this point. The troll who doesn't stop accusing people of trolling no matter how polite and sincere they try to be.

No matter how many times I look at what I posted I cannot see how anyone but the most paranoid person could have interpreted that as someone taking a shot at them.

"No one thought you were clever last round, no one will think you're clever this round" - I mean do you really think that was called for? We just "made up" and I was giving you the best advice I could, and that's what I get.

Informing them that you were 99th percentile on the LSAT tells them that you are very skilled in the areas which a test like that, tests. Things which are now largely omitted from the upcoming MCAT, the areas in which you said lawyers are largely more skilled than doctors. On top of that, I didn't even say "include your LSAT", I asked the guys here if that's something that should be included. It was a legitimate inquiry, but I fear that even if we resolve this again - you're just going to flip out at me for something again in the not too distant future. Seriously man someone must have trolled you super hard one day, because I think this may be a problem. I don't understand you and I don't think I will, and honestly I think you might be insane. But as you so often do, I wish you luck nonetheless.

I'm definitely not trying to get into a ***** match with you but seriously man, you need to get over the wimpy and whininess in your post.

Who cares? Surely you have bigger worries than what someone on the Internet says about you?

Just let it good :)

On that note, PM me your thoughts on the best ultra books for the $1000-$1200 range :D

Oh please you're just saying that because I've flipped out at you for the same things ya arse. Sometimes the wrong people catch you on the wrong day. I tried to be nice to that man but he just hurt me...

I am letting it go.....serenity now...

.....and it's gone.

Take a gander around here:

http://www.pcmag.com/ultrabooks

Show me the ones you like and I'll give my opinion.

Honestly I don't spend too much time familiarizing myself with the latest laptop lines, I'm more of a desktop guy - but if you recall from that long-ass laptop thread I recommended the Vaio S series, and I haven't looked into anything since then. You get the 1080 screen, sleek design, power, high build quality, and with the optional "sheet battery" you can allegedly get up to 14 hours. Without the sheet battery (+$150) they claim around 6 hours. Outside of that (again based on my market awareness) the only other place you're getting figures like that would be from Apple. Then again after having just reviewed the latest lineup of "ultrabook" offerings...I think it comes down to a matter of stylistic preference between the Vaio S and the laptops listed below and if you feel you really need that 14 hour sheet battery option. If 7 hours is enough for you then scrap the Vaio S and look at the ones listed below.

Here, squint your eyes at this for a quick look at all the contenders (hold ctrl+scroll mouse wheel to zoom):

349117-macbook-air-vs-ultrabooks-big-chart.jpg?thumb=y

Amongst those the Vaio T13 appears to be the best bang for the buck on paper.

Taken from this article.

OP, there is no formula for ECs (there actually is but no body other than adcoms know). So people here telling you that your ECs look amazing means nothing as applicants with spectacular ECs (in MY view) get rejected every year. I've also seen people with very little ECs get accepted. It's all about how you showcase yourself.

OP, there is no formula for ECs (there actually is but no body other than adcoms know). So people here telling you that your ECs look amazing means nothing as applicants with spectacular ECs (in MY view) get rejected every year. I've also seen people with very little ECs get accepted. It's all about how you showcase yourself.

That was my strategy actually: to showcase my activities in a manner that made them stand out. I heard that there are something like 40 spaces on applications for ECs and people actually fill them all out, so I wasn't banking on my ECs being strong in number.

I, strongly, agree with this. However, I also think there are a few "safe" assumptions you could make in regards to extra circular activities. I think that long-term commitment to and success within an activity will look very appealing. But what's, possibly, more important is your intentions and ambition in regards to each activity. For example, do you show up, work hard, and go home? Or are you the type who also puts in the extra hours and tries to constantly excel? Thinking from a medical perspective, I would really appreciate the physician who went the "extra mile" for his patients and was constantly willing to learn and enhance his skills.

Another thing that I think is overlooked is: in the midst of activities are you well-balanced and healthy? I can appreciate and respect people who work hard in their lives, but at the same time, understanding personal limits, keeping focused, and staying well-adjusted is going to play a huge role in a physician’s quality of care. So, yes, someone may have fifty extra-circulars that are impressive. But if they're one red-light away from stabbing someone with a scalpel*, I don't think many adcoms would bet on their success as a physician.

*Used for dramatic and metaphorical purposes only...

I, ultimately, think that your physically written down ECs are only half of the equation. There's definitely some room there for adcoms to question your integrity and intentions.

Hopefully this helps you in some way. :)

I, strongly, agree with this. However, I also think there are a few "safe" assumptions you could make in regards to extra circular activities. I think that long-term commitment to and success within an activity will look very appealing. But what's, possibly, more important is your intentions and ambition in regards to each activity. For example, do you show up, work hard, and go home? Or are you the type who also puts in the extra hours and tries to constantly excel? Thinking from a medical perspective, I would really appreciate the physician who went the "extra mile" for his patients and was constantly willing to learn and enhance his skills.

Another thing that I think is overlooked is: in the midst of activities are you well-balanced and healthy? I can appreciate and respect people who work hard in their lives, but at the same time, understanding personal limits, keeping focused, and staying well-adjusted is going to play a huge role in a physician’s quality of care. So, yes, someone may have fifty extra-circulars that are impressive. But if they're one red-light away from stabbing someone with a scalpel*, I don't think many adcoms would bet on their success as a physician.

*Used for dramatic and metaphorical purposes only...

I, ultimately, think that your physically written down ECs are only half of the equation. There's definitely some room there for adcoms to question your integrity and intentions.

(Below opinions have nothing to do with OP's stuff, they all look very unique, and each one looks like some interesting and vibrant experience)

There needs to be long-term commitment but also perhaps more importantly QUALITY commitment. 5 years doing mundane work in a hospital is nothing compared to 1 year as an elected president of a prominent student organization.

Also, note that many many applicants have tons of long-term mundane stuff, so it wouldn't surprise anyone if admissions just skip over these, even though the applicants sunk so very many hours of their free time into them.

Diverse quality interesting work is key. Admittedly that is hard to achieve in the short duration of a typical 3-year undergrad before medicine application cycle starts.

The variety and the long term commitment, of which you have both, they like to see.

If you don't get in this round, I'd recommend you get a position in a nursing home or perhaps a porter job in a hospital until next cycle.

OP, keep in mind jerkstore just started his 1st year in UG. you might be better off waiting for a more seasoned player in this game to respond.

But I'm not new to the pre-med information game. I don't see how the length of my undergrad career correlates with med school application knowledge.

Are you saying my information was incorrect?

Where do you think I get all my information? You guys.

I mean this is pretty standard stuff, jeez.

you might be better off waiting for a more seasoned player in this game to respond.

I'm pretty sure it was his plan to wait for multiple responses, not wait for jerkstore's thoughts and then immediately send in his application.

Guy doesn't even critique my advice, just knocks me for being first year.

That was my strategy actually: to showcase my activities in a manner that made them stand out. I heard that there are something like 40 spaces on applications for ECs and people actually fill them all out, so I wasn't banking on my ECs being strong in number.

It's quality, not quantity. It is about your personal growth, and for volunteering, your good deeds to others.

No, I haven't overworked myself. I've pretty much done stuff that interests me and that I find to be "noble" in some way. I can relate to each of them in some way and they're usually "helpful" in some respect.

Archived