Premed 101 Forums

learning for clerkship

i think that 'you' could also refer to all the other 'health care professionals' that futuregp talks about, just like when you address the public directly

No one talked about allied healthcare professionals before futureGP's post. So I don't see why futureGP will start adressing the AHCP in general while quoting thebougue (and thebougue wasn't talking about the AHCP).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are there any good review books that I could, for example, read this summer? I am not planning to take the USMLE but I have no objection to studying on my own. I just don't really know what to study.
I think Toronto Notes and Case Files are both good suggestions. But I'd more strongly echo the suggestions not to get too worked up about being well prepared. Take your vacation, have a good time, and start clerkship well rested and excited! Attitude and being willing to learn matters more than the knowledge you start with.

I hope so! I am just a really nervous person, I guess. When I see the clerks at the hospital they always seem so confident, especially with their physical exam skills.

In that case, I think a preclerkship elective would be most helpful, in particular one that allows you to see patients and consolidate your skills. The more practice you get (and even better if your preceptor can observe and provide feedback), the more comfortable and confident you will be. That's really all there's to it. Failing that, you could perhaps get together with a like-minded classmate for more practice.

I hope so! I am just a really nervous person, I guess. When I see the clerks at the hospital they always seem so confident, especially with their physical exam skills.

that's just because of practise - plus in some blocks you are tested on those so we have no choice but to learn them cold :)

It depends. Some schools do a better job at teaching physical exams. At my school, we were extremely confident with our physical exam skills when we hit clerkship (even with neuro and msk) because it was very well taught. My preclerkship had other flaws however so no program is perfect.

Archived