Premed 101 Forums

PT admission at UOttawa/McGill

Hey,

I'm really interested in applying into the Masters program in Physical Therapy at the university of Ottawa and McGill. However I haven't been able to find the minimal GPA accepted last year (they don't reveal this information).

Would anyone who applied to uOttawa or Mcgill and got admitted be willing to share they're GPA? Also, would anyone who knows more about the admission process (GPA calculation...) at one of these universities be able to tell me what's most important when applying?

It would be really appreciate!

Thanks!!

I know to be competitive at McGill you need somewhere around 3.3~3.5+ for your entire undergraduate GPA. Ottawa refused to send me their GPA or how they calculate, so I assume they look into everything quite equally.

For Ottawa you need to basically be bilingual. The program is done completely in French (textbooks, lectures, papers, exams), and so if you aren't comfortable with the language or haven't done a French Immersion program before I would not advise it. You can however go to McGill without speaking a word of French (placements will just be limited).

otapply: I've done my bachelor degree in french so the language isnt a problem for me. However I dont think you have to worry much, if you understand french well enough to follow a class you'll be fine cause I'm pretty sure you can do all your internships in english.

pinktulip: Thanks so much for your answer! From what I've heard, Ottawa only takes into account your last 60 credits when evaluate your file.

thanks! I only ever looked at the original rehabilitation science information sheet, this one helps a lot. I can't believe their MMI's are so late.... it's the day before all the acceptances/rejections are sent out for Ontario schools. :confused:

And just to clarify, they give a higher score to people who have taken anatomy, physiology, kinesiology courses and done very well in them. Doesn't have to be a degree, but having more of the courses would give you a higher score in that case:p

The program is 2 1/2 years, you do not need to be bilingual to get placements (aren't THAT restricted). It's mostly distance and the fact that you are surrounded by Frenchies the whole time... I don't think you get OSAP for it either since it's out of Ontario, and you can't apply for anything in Quebec that will give you money.

'7. Knowledge of French is highly recommended. Variety of clinical placements is severely restricted for students who do not speak French.'

from McGill PT 2013 admissions info

You don't need to be bilingual. but from my volunteer experience at PTdeps in montreal hospitals, I'd say about half or more patients aren't fluent in english. many feel uncomfortable not communicating with their mother tongue. So I'd consider learning French till the interview which is held on May 14th, at least to the extent that you are able to communicate with patients if you do not want to limit your cilinical placements. If you can, take french course as an elective next term or learn it during breaks. 2.5-3 yrs is not a short time in Montreal and most everyone outside the uni assumes you speak French. Jus keep in mind that you'll be reminded of this everyday whether you are in clinical settings or even at a bar or a restaurant. They are proud of their own culture. trust is important in clinical settings and merely expressing your respect towards their culture would help gain their trust. So in my opinion, if you're seriously considering, mastering French is not necessary but expressing your respective attitude towards their culture could benefit you as a good PT.

• 3 months later...

I am so seriously considering applying to Mcgill's program when I finish in 3 years. Especially if there are no teaching jobs.

I just wonder if in the end I will be competitive. I'll be getting a BFA and a BEd. I think I'm hovering around a 3.5 right now.

Really though, I feel like McGill's program would be a dream come true for me. I love Montreal, french language and Quebecois culture.

Thanks for all the great info you guys have posted, it's really good to prepare and think about possible alternatives if the job market still sucks in 3 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived