Premed 101 Forums

Fee for Service

Looking through HFOjobs and the vast majority of positions (GIM and subspecialties) are fee for service compensation method. This is even for places like Sault Ste Marie, Thunderbay, Sudbury, etc. You always hear about earning more in the more rural areas but I can't imagine a physician having a busier practice than in urban Toronto for example. Are there bonus multipliers for being in those areas? Something besides the underservice region bonus of $80K over 4 years?

Looking through HFOjobs and the vast majority of positions (GIM and subspecialties) are fee for service compensation method. This is even for places like Sault Ste Marie, Thunderbay, Sudbury, etc. You always hear about earning more in the more rural areas but I can't imagine a physician having a busier practice than in urban Toronto for example. Are there bonus multipliers for being in those areas? Something besides the underservice region bonus of $80K over 4 years?

Not really that I am aware of directly - although sometimes you get access to facilities for a reduced cost :)

Still rural has a lot of advantages - your overhead is often lower, your patient pool is often higher..... In a rural area you are basically the only one to go to - your practise can be a very busy indeed. In the city there is competition.

Thank you for your reply. I am looking into GIM and Endocrine. The upside to GIM is that there is zero overhead for purely hospitalist work which can save you 30-40% of your earnings. I guess an endocrinologist would benefit from a rural location while a GIM hospitalist/ED consultant would probably be better in the GTA where there are more opportunities to bill!

Thank you for your reply. I am looking into GIM and Endocrine. The upside to GIM is that there is zero overhead for purely hospitalist work which can save you 30-40% of your earnings. I guess an endocrinologist would benefit from a rural location while a GIM hospitalist/ED consultant would probably be better in the GTA where there are more opportunities to bill!

In St Thomas (rural area yet close to london ) I ran into several GIMs that can have all the work they can handle. Opportunities to bill wasn't the problem

Gezz anyone with a cardiac problem, diabetes, hypothyroidism........ the list goes on and on, and in many areas you are the primary internal medicine doctor.

In St Thomas (rural area yet close to london ) I ran into several GIMs that can have all the work they can handle. Opportunities to bill wasn't the problem

Gezz anyone with a cardiac problem, diabetes, hypothyroidism........ the list goes on and on, and in many areas you are the primary internal medicine doctor.

How much does a guy gotta pay to get some posts deleted?:D :D :D

are you in medschool yet?

you'll get a better feel of what a rural hospital is like... they're super busy

a typical rural FM doc works a lot more than a typical city doc, because they basically cover wards, emergency, surgical assist, anesthesia, obs/gyn, everything, typically very hard on call too (depending on how many docs are in your group)

sure there's less people but there's a lot less docs such that rural docs work really hard

are you in medschool yet?

you'll get a better feel of what a rural hospital is like... they're super busy

a typical rural FM doc works a lot more than a typical city doc, because they basically cover wards, emergency, surgical assist, anesthesia, obs/gyn, everything, typically very hard on call too (depending on how many docs are in your group)

sure there's less people but there's a lot less docs such that rural docs work really hard

or he could be a resident... cause this is the resident's forum

Uhh thanks...

PGY-2 Resident in Toronto. Mississauga and Toronto East General are considered community so things are skewed. I've been as far north as Timmins in medschool and no, they were not as busy as the centres in Toronto. Certainly does not account for the supposed discrepancy in reported billings.

Figured you were - I mean it would be odd being that focused and still in medical school (endo etc) :)

Archived