Premed 101 Forums

How many applicants get interviews?

I think what robinre meant was that Mac doesn't interview that many people relative to the size of the class. So, if you get an interview you've got better odds of getting accepted than at most other schools. For example, I believe NOSM interviewed around 400 applicants for 64 spots last year.

just shows how much trust they place on their CASPer system.

Ha ha, yeah, I got Robinre's point about the odds being good IF you get an interview. I just realized the way I expressed myself makes it sound like I'm disagreeing with him. That wasn't my intention. Sorry :P

For the life of me, I don't see how they can put so much emphasis on something you type in 90 minutes while completely ignoring your life experiences and previous career(s) for the purposes of deciding who gets an interview. Seems like a very strange and unreliable system to say the least.

I'm a girl :). I think Mac likes casper because it puts people on an even playing field. A lot of people that have a tough life dont have the time to do fancy sports or do research or volunteer in their spare time because they have other commitmnets that take up a lot of energy, which puts them at a disadvantage for a lot of medical schools. by assessing people's values, intuition and ethical decisionmaking using casper they can observe the same fundamental skills that you would learn from being a part of a sports team or being involved with the community. or atleast... thats the idea :s. when i did it i wasn't so sure how well i was able to come off either

My supervisor is a McMaster Alumnus and did his Neurology Residence at UofT. He is on the admission committee for both McMaster and UofT. He was actually one of the leaders in creating CASPer. He told me that the whole point behind CASPer is to find good people, simple as that. Schools try to avoid those who have had everything spoon fed to them and find students who crawled and fought their way up with real sincere experiences. You do well on CASPer because you have had enough life experiences to deal with. You build your life and clinical accumen while you're outside, in class, with family, and in hospital settings. It's inevitable for you to display these thoughts and experiences in your answers, especially given that you're crunched for time.

My supervisor is a McMaster Alumnus and did his Neurology Residence at UofT. He is on the admission committee for both McMaster and UofT. He was actually one of the leaders in creating CASPer. He told me that the whole point behind CASPer is to find good people, simple as that. Schools try to avoid those who have had everything spoon fed to them and find students who crawled and fought their way up with real sincere experiences. You do well on CASPer because you have had enough life experiences to deal with. You build your life and clinical accumen while you're outside, in class, with family, and in hospital settings. It's inevitable for you to display these thoughts and experiences in your answers, especially given that you're crunched for time.

How can you determine whether someone is a good person and if they have real sincere experiences in one hour and based on random questions!? I know several people who were spoon fed all their life (never had a real job in their life) and are NOT the nicest people with real experiences but bullsh*t their capser responses and are in McMaster medical school today. Of course, life is not always fair and every admission process does have their flaws .

How can you determine whether someone is a good person and if they have real sincere experiences in one hour and based on random questions!? I know several people who were spoon fed all their life (never had a real job in their life) and are NOT the nicest people with real experiences but bullsh*t their capser responses and are in McMaster medical school today. Of course, life is not always fair and every admission process does have their flaws .

take a chill pill hombre

Well, they would also need to make it past the MMI.

Its very difficult to BS casper. You have 5 minutes to consider 3 questions, and most people can barely gather their own thoughts and type them coherently in that timeframe. I think it would be unlikely, although not impossible, for someone to come up with a BS answer that quickly.

I'm quite curious to see how I did on the CASPer for a few reasons, most importantly to see if I get in :P, but second if I did poorly it is strong evidence that the CASPer is not a reflection of the MMI capability. The only reason I say this is because I've had MMI experience which I did quite well on, and if I don't get an interview, based on my other stats I can safely assume my CASPer was terrible.

I'm quite curious to see how I did on the CASPer for a few reasons, most importantly to see if I get in :P, but second if I did poorly it is strong evidence that the CASPer is not a reflection of the MMI capability. The only reason I say this is because I've had MMI experience which I did quite well on, and if I don't get an interview, based on my other stats I can safely assume my CASPer was terrible.

no offence, but you can never safely assume anything in this process.

and just because you did well on MMI elsewhere doesn't mean it's the same at Mac.

no offence, but you can never safely assume anything in this process.

and just because you did well on MMI elsewhere doesn't mean it's the same at Mac.

Both points very true i should rephrase that i likely did poorly casper if there is no interview and that i have potential for a good score

I think they are trying to evaluate your gut responses. If you know what the 'right answers' are, then you understand the ethical view-point you should adhere to as a physician (Or at least in their opinion)

Now, the second half of your statement is insulting:

1. Nobody is spoon fed through undergrad - those students had to work hard enough to acquire the knowledge to get into school. If they worked less than you, and did better, well that's not their fault. Nobody else wrote their test for them!

2. Not everyone is going to be the 'nicest' person to everyone else. I am sure there are people who dislike - maybe they dislike you! I am just speculating. The fact of the matter is: How they engage their peers on a personal level should have no bearing on how they conduct themselves in a professional setting. Additionally, people skills are not required for all specialties.

It is unfair to point the finger and belittle others so quickly.

Having said that - this is not a hate on you, Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays)

I think they are trying to evaluate your gut responses. If you know what the 'right answers' are, then you understand the ethical view-point you should adhere to as a physician (Or at least in their opinion)

Now, the second half of your statement is insulting:

1. Nobody is spoon fed through undergrad - those students had to work hard enough to acquire the knowledge to get into school. If they worked less than you, and did better, well that's not their fault. Nobody else wrote their test for them!

2. Not everyone is going to be the 'nicest' person to everyone else. I am sure there are people who dislike - maybe they dislike you! I am just speculating. The fact of the matter is: How they engage their peers on a personal level should have no bearing on how they conduct themselves in a professional setting. Additionally, people skills are not required for all specialties.

It is unfair to point the finger and belittle others so quickly.

Having said that - this is not a hate on you, Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays)

Of the bolded items...

Line 1: true

Line 2: true

Line 3: not true

• 3 weeks later...

Archived