Premed 101 Forums

Radiologist work load

161k for a family doctor who works full time (40-60 hrs) would be the worst thing ever. No wonder the majority of med students specialize. Also there is a recent article about fewer US students choosing primary care.

People always talk about family docs not working full time becuase they won't be able to stay sane, handle the work load, can't do clinic all day etc. Is family med really tiring/ boring?

I wonder how family medicine would compare if you removed the army of part-timers (preganant docs, nursing mothers, people-men and women-who don't want to work that hard, etc) from the average. I would wager the median earnings would go up substantially. From admittedly anecdotal experience, family medicine has a lot more of these types than most specialties.

Just a thought...

yeah the that specialty does lend itself to a more flexible approach to things and thus attracts people interested in that.

161k for a family doctor who works full time (40-60 hrs) would be the worst thing ever. No wonder the majority of med students specialize. Also there is a recent article about fewer US students choosing primary care.

People always talk about family docs not working full time becuase they won't be able to stay sane, handle the work load, can't do clinic all day etc. Is family med really tiring/ boring?

that 161k figure is definitely not representative of a full time family doc in my province. my FM preceptor works about 40 hours per week, with teaching, and a decent amount of vacation. she earns 350k after overhead.

that 161k figure is definitely not representative of a full time family doc in my province. my FM preceptor works about 40 hours per week, with teaching, and a decent amount of vacation. she earns 350k after overhead.

Ya that's definitely a statistical outlier. We can talk about the odd GI/cardio that bills 1.2million dollars a year as well. I think looking at the average incomes gives us a much clearer insight into the true earnings of a speciality. In which case family is ~220k, whereas surgery subspecialties are 400+.

ah but the thing is those averages don't give you the full picture. moo has articulated those points before. i believe it's in the primary care forum. i'm sure you can appreciate that FM has proportionally more part-time earnings than surgery. and surgeons can really pay the price for those high earnings with their demanding schedules. i'm interested to know the dollars-per-hour earned by FM vs. surgeons. Surgeons can't bill, or bill relatively little, for their non-OR time.

it's much easier to look at salaries from the practices that you would like to run. if you want to work diligently as an FM, you're looking at 500k in a rural setting. my source is reliable. it's the same for radiology. jobs vary widely from group to group, one city to the next. they have different partnership tracks, vacations, calls, rural vs urban modifiers, teaching responsibilities, etc. You can break 1 mil or make less than 200k. look to where you want to work and how you want to work and focus on those figures.

imo.

ah but the thing is those averages don't give you the full picture. moo has articulated those points before. i believe it's in the primary care forum. i'm sure you can appreciate that FM has proportionally more part-time earnings than surgery. and surgeons can really pay the price for those high earnings with their demanding schedules. i'm interested to know the dollars-per-hour earned by FM vs. surgeons. Surgeons can't bill, or bill relatively little, for their non-OR time.

it's much easier to look at salaries from the practices that you would like to run. if you want to work diligently as an FM, you're looking at 500k in a rural setting. my source is reliable. it's the same for radiology. jobs vary widely from group to group, one city to the next. they have different partnership tracks, vacations, calls, rural vs urban modifiers, teaching responsibilities, etc. You can break 1 mil or make less than 200k. look to where you want to work and how you want to work and focus on those figures.

imo.

this was a great post. Unfortunately for those of us still working our way into med, there isn't much we can do to get these sort of real numbers, but that doesn't matter. To all the premeds, just get in first, then you can follow tooty's advice and try to figure out what you want to do and where you'd like to do it.

imo.

Also, you need to account for the fact that you can get a job, usually where you want, doing what you want, after you finish family. A surgeon is lucky to get ANY job, even if it's in nowhere-ville doing community work after they have finished their 1-3 fellowships and masters/PhD. The market right now for many surgical specialties is atrociously bad.

Surgeon pay hardly matters when you can't find a health board to pay you.

Right now, from the point of a surgical subspecialty resident, Family Med looks awful appealing to me right now.

Archived