Premed 101 Forums

$$$$ restitution for dentistry grads

Guest bcdentalgirl

Guest bcdentalgirl

Hi ,

speaking of the high price of a dental education, is anyone aware of any programs like the med students have. ie financial restitution for working in under serviced areas or humanitarian work?

I know Student Loans will forgive a certain amount after you have completed your degree, but these programs change on a yearly basis...

I haven't heard of this kind of deal in Ontario, but apparently in Alberta it is possible to get work with the government up north in the reserves. It seems the pay is great but the work is almost exclusively restorative (tedious)... Maybe there's something similar in BC as well.

In general though, if you decide to work in under-serviced areas you will have piles of patients coming in all the time and just the quantity of work you do is sufficient renumeration. Again, I don't know any BC stats but in Ontario the most underserviced regions have 5 times the patient/dentist ratio than Toronto.

Then of course there's the military route, there aren't many spaces for these but it doesn't hurt to try :D

Archived