Premed 101 Forums

gpa

Guest dentalangel

Guest dentalangel

Hello, everyone, I was wondering, what do you think the chances are of having a GPA of 3.74 and getting into u of t dentistry? Any ideas? Or friends you know with similar Gpa's who have gotten in or waitlisted? please share your experiences and if you know anyone getting in with 3.7s or so what were their DAT scores like? Thank you very much :)

Guest dentalangel

by the way please be brutally honest.

I'm hearing conflicting things on this board and others, because the dentistry admissions office told me you need at least a 3.5 to get an interview, however the competitive average is 3.8 and then on these boards people with 3.8 are waitlisted :(

Guest Plug Dis

Well dentalangel,

I had a 3.87 three year GPA and I was placed 49 on the waiting list last year. Now mind you, my DATs were pretty crappy Academic 19, PAT-15, and I got rocked on the interview, at least I consider 20/35 getting rocked hard. Oh and by the way.....I made it to number 2 on the waitinglist by the end of the summer....that really hurt yes. I had heard of others that were accepted off the waiting list with mid 3.7s so don't be too worried...its that damn interview that will make you or break you. I hope a 4.0 is enough of a cushion to slip by this year. I think the problem with the way they interview is that they don't ask anything about your motivation for being there, just a bunch of dumb questions that cause you to make up some story in order to answer them. The mcGill interview is a much better assessment of who is/isn't fit for dental school, in my opinion anyways. Take care and good luck to you.

Plug

Guest bcdentalgirl

Plug Dis,

What questions did they ask you? How long was the interview? I remember from your earlier posts, you didn't have the sense that the interview went that bad. After finding out your score, were you able to identify what happened in retrospect?

Thanks

Guest Plug Dis

The interview was about 20 min or so. Pretty much everyone gets the same questions and supposedly there are set answers which they are looking for. This really pisses me off because I was told by 3 different dentists that if I just be myself...I will have no problem in the interview. I couldn't be myself...the questions were so retarded....all I kept thinking was what the heck could these questions or their possible answers have to do with my suitability for dentistry. One that totally got me was "Give me a situation in your life where somebody offered you help, without you having to ask for it?" In my head I was like,"WTF?" but I guess we all have to jump through the hoops if we want to get in.....they won't catch me off guard again I tells ya.

Plug

Guest Plug Dis

McGill was so much better. Tell me about yourself.....who is your inspiration in life.....why should we pick you over everyone else......what do you do in your spare time.....what is your motivation for choosing dents.....have you applied to any other programs.......do YOU have any questions for us.......what is your biggest accomplishment....why McGill....is this your first time to Montreal.....that type of stuff.....you know its a REAL interview where people interact and they can form a real impression of the type of person you are. AND you can't lie because they interact and ask follow up questions so if you lead the interview you are in the clear....I personally don't believe that the UofT/Western interview format is of any use....they'd be better off throwing the applications down a flight of stairs and choosing the first 65 or so for the class......Yeah a little bitter, but deservedly so. A lot of the people that I met at the interview were using dentistry as a back up...most didn't even have any dental experience......how can you possibly deserve to be there without investigating what you will be doing for the next 30 years of your life........just letting off some steam.

later,

Plug

Archived