Premed 101 Forums

How much time to dedicate to MCAT this summer?

ecobeco

I took it last summer and studied around mid-june to Aug 23. Wasn't as efficient in my studies as I would have liked. Should I spend the full 3-months (I followed SN2ed's schedule)? How did you guys feel if you had to retake?

I had exactly the same experience: I spent the whole summer in 2011 doing nothing other than preparing MCAT, the result was not ideal. Early in January in 2012, I took PCAT, the score was pretty good. Later In March I re-took MCAT again. The reason was there is some overlapping knowledge between MCAT & PCAT. My scores of MCAT was better, but not as high as what I wanted. So I re-took MCAT in June after reviewing my shortage, I got 36P, that is competitive enough (I think). So my experience is taking one time MCAT may not be enough. A lot of people took several times in this thread.

I know this is obvious, but everybody is different. For me, 3 months is way too long and the stuff I would do for the first 2 months would probably not help at all. I only had time to study for 6 days (work full-time+, plus part-time jobs in evening and weekends) because that is all I could get off work. I did a practice test each day (full-length AAMC including essays), and quickly skimmed EK review books. I got a 39R. I think 2-3 weeks of full-time studying would have been ideal and gotten me nicely above the 40 mark.

I know this is obvious, but everybody is different. For me, 3 months is way too long and the stuff I would do for the first 2 months would probably not help at all. I only had time to study for 6 days (work full-time+, plus part-time jobs in evening and weekends) because that is all I could get off work. I did a practice test each day (full-length AAMC including essays), and quickly skimmed EK review books. I got a 39R. I think 2-3 weeks of full-time studying would have been ideal and gotten me nicely above the 40 mark.

You beast. What date did you write it?

August 17th, 2012. I taught high school math and science (chem, bio, physics) for 4 years part time before that and it really helped solidify the basics.

ha :) so you effectively studied for the test for 4 years then. I mean this shows the power of studying for the test but I think your 6 days is then a biased sample point on the spectrum of success. That being said it is still of course impressive!

The short answer is always as long as it takes and that is different for everyone. I have seen it take all summer for some, and a really short amount of time for others. Practise tests can help narrow it down.

In particular VR takes a bit of work to ramp up I think for many.

I agree with this completely. I pulled up my science scores in less than a month, but I needed 3 months to work on my VR

Yeah VR is a skill more than a knowledge base - it is like learning to play the piano - cramming is not as effective as daily longer term practise. It just takes time.

Archived