Premed 101 Forums

Préparation aux MEMFIs

Premièrement,

Il y a une pratique organisé en février je crois par des membres du forum (voir le topic approprié dans la section générale).

Deuxièmement,

Pour avoir la chance de connaître des évaluateurs au memfi, je ne crois pas qu'on peut se *préparer pour ça*. Oui, il y a des critères, mais ce sont des critères logiques que tlm connait déjà (du genre empathie, habileté à communiquer etc). Il y a pas de mauvaise ou de bonne réponse, l'important c'est de donner une bonne impression et d'être un bon communicateur avec du charisme et de l'empathie. En gros, sachant que tout ceux qui vont aux mems sont des gens brillants (il faut une bonne cru), je crois que toutes les futures éétudiants ont déjà chercher en masse ce que ça prend pour être un médecin. Je pense qu'il y a pas un peu de luck dans les memfi, pis c'est aussi en grande partie ce que tu dégages lorsque tu communiques, ta façon de d'y prendre, ta personnalité, être capable d'argumenter de manière rationnel sans dire des énormités... etc... Et ça se pratique pas.

D'ailleurs l'université le dit: Il n'y a aucune préparation pour les memfis, soyez vous-même that it. D'ailleurs la majorité des étudiants de ce forum qui ont eu des bons scores au memfi avaient pas pratiqué avant. Le mieux, imo, c'est de faire une introspection (savoir ses faiblesses, ses points forts, bien se connaitre etc).

some ontariostudent (abbreviated) posts

I did not actually prepare for the MMI other than reading "Doing Right". I am good at improvising and thinking on my feet, and I think that practicing might actually have been detrimental for me. The answers you practice aren't necessarily going to correspond with the situations you'll have, and if you try to remember how you dealt with a situation in the past you might lose focus on what you're actually dealing with. If you're not good at thinking on your feet I guess it's useful to have people throw random scenarios at you and give you a time limit, so that you get used to coming up with things to say under pressure. Have a parent or older person do it instead of a peer, so you have more pressure. I really think that is the only thing that would help, and it would only be useful if you get flustered when you're under pressure.

I had 1 actor station where I felt like I ran out of things to say after about 5 minutes. The actor kept saying the same thing over and over again, and I just kept reiterating my position in different words. I guess there's really no situation where you'd completely run out of things to say before time is up. I always got cut off. If you find that you have run out of things to say, try to come up with more arguments for whatever you are saying, or just reiterate it.

Don't be nervous. Just be confident and you should be able to deal with whatever situation arises. I'm not a nervous interviewee and I usually improvise well, and that's probably what helped me the most. I don't think there's any real practice to be done.

The MMI was definitely a lot of fun. The actors ranged in age, depending on the role they played. They were definitely having a lot of fun

I think it's good to know about current events .... but I had no stations that required any specific knowledge of anything.

when they introduced the MMI they only mentioned actor stations and task stations. At task stations you will usually interact with the interviewer. At my interview I would have to perform some task and then the interviewer would talk to me about why I did it and how I did it. It wasn't completion of the task that mattered- they wanted to see your reasoning behind how you did it. It really was a fun interview!!

There is one interviewer and he asked tough questions, but not so tough that it seemed like he was out to get me. I think he was sort of trying to push me to my limits but not in a bad way. The questions were tough, but he was friendly. I didn't leave with a bad feeling.

The actors are acting, so they work off of whatever you say. In many cases you will walk in the room and have to initiate conversation without knowing why you're there. Just play off each other and act as naturally as possible.

I really enjoyed it. Some stations were really out of left field, but that's what made them fun! I don't think you can really prepare, except for knowing a bit about yourself and what it means to be a doctor (morally, ethically, etc). You need a sense of what's right, and everything will fall into place. If you don't know why you're there or what it means to be a physician (like the duty to help others, how to communicate, etc) you'll have a hard time with some of the questions.

D'ailleurs l'université le dit: Il n'y a aucune préparation pour les memfis, soyez vous-même that it. D'ailleurs la majorité des étudiants de ce forum qui ont eu des bons scores au memfi avaient pas pratiqué avant. Le mieux, imo, c'est de faire une introspection (savoir ses faiblesses, ses points forts, bien se connaitre etc).

Ce qui peut demander une bonne pratique pour les gens qui ne parle que rarement d'eux même et/ou n'ayant jamais réfléchi aux évènements marquants de leur vie.

Personnellement, ma préparation pour mes deuxièmes MEMs m'ont permis d'aller chercher près de 100 points supplémentaires par rapport à ma première tentative (et d'être accepté).

@ Blunt,

Je comprends parfaitement et je suis d'accord avec toi, mais dans la situation actuelle, il veut payer quelqu'un afin de *pratiquer* les mems... Et comme tu dis, apprendre à se connaître, à connaitre les évènements marquants de sa vie etc... C'est un cheminement individuel. C'est clair qu'on peut se pratiquer pour les mems, mais je crois pas que quelqu'un d'autre peut vraiment nous aider. La meilleur pratique pour les memfis est quant à moi une très bonne reflexion sur notre parcours, nos bons et mauvais coups, nos forces et nos faiblesses; et sur les raisons qui nous pousse à vouloir être médecin.

Archived