Premed 101 Forums

UAlberta OT Application Status

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last round that involved multiple people was sent out mid-July last year. Some people did not find out until 3-5 days before orientation week though due to people cancelling and adding an additional 2 spots to the Calgary cohort last minute. They initially told me in May that I did not get in (although I never received a formal letter with this information), just a warning that it can be quite late if you're close to the cut off

Would you mind sharing what your sGPA was just so we have a sense of how far down the list they go?

It's really hard to predict what the lowest GPA will be; the U of A process looks at both GPA and qualitative criteria. I can tell you my GPA wasn't the "most" competitive but I did get early acceptance. There seems to be a number of people who applied to multiple schools so there's always hope people will reject or cancel because they actually want UBC, etc.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Would you mind sharing what your sGPA was just so we have a sense of how far down the list they go?

Mine was 3.5 and I heard of 2 others with slightly lower GPA's that were the last to get accepted. With that being said, this year is a much more competitive year from what I've heard so it will likely be higher this year. All of us also applied the year prior and did not get accepted, we all had regular contact with the admissions department, and we were all also from the Calgary area. I'm unsure if any of this had to do with our acceptance however. There may be others from Edmonton with similar or quite different stories though so this is just my experience. I was told that admission is based solely on GPA until it comes down to the final few, in which case they take into consideration the rest of the application. Again, I'm unsure if this is still the case.

Thank you, OTyear1:)

My fingers are crossed. I ,too, chose Calgary, but I didn't receive an email the first round.

Did you find the first year intense with a lot of work?

It's definitely not undergrad but it's not substantially more difficult, it's mainly just a lot more quantity of work and a different way of studying. Everything is cumulative and subjects cross over because it is a professional faculty and they're not teaching fluff or filler, everything is important for practice. It's definitely do-able though.

I thought they only did that in June? I was told by them that they will have another admissions review in June.

Maybe enough people accepted their offers? Seems a bit premature though considering the Ontario schools haven't even given out their offers yet.

Hmmm.....here's hoping for a small number on the waitlist...:(

Don't give up hope yet!

I just received my acceptance package in the mail yesterday, and with that packaged came my "confirmation form" which you have to mail back. I am assuming that not everyone will accept, and they will send out more offers :).

Also, offers haven't gone out yet for Ontario schools, so once those go out I can definitely see people declining their UofA offers

Hi guys,

Just talked to Michelle and some rejection letters were mailed out however there will still be another round of offers in June (I'm assuming to account for the Ontario schools). At that time they will also send out the rest of the rejection letters and waitlist offerings.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi guys,

Just talked to Michelle and some rejection letters were mailed out however there will still be another round of offers in June (I'm assuming to account for the Ontario schools). At that time they will also send out the rest of the rejection letters and waitlist offerings.

Good luck to everyone!

Do you know if these rejection letters were also sent via email?

• 2 weeks later...
So I got an acceptance into residence today... not sure what to do with that having not heard anything from the program itself any ideas what I should do... hold the spot?

oh ****, I didn't even think of applying to residence. Do you have to pay to hold it?

So I got an acceptance into residence today... not sure what to do with that having not heard anything from the program itself any ideas what I should do... hold the spot?

Hm...What kind of residences you applied for? Seems like I won't get one.

Oh, hope you hear from the program soon!

Archived