Premed 101 Forums

The U of C MMI

Hi all:

I'm a first time med applicant this cycle. I completely did not expect a U of C interview invite, and really don't have a good idea of what their MMI entails. I might have read that there is some kind of written part? Is this true? Can anyone elaborate on how their MMI is set up, and what you recommend doing to prepare?

Thanks!

Hi all:

I'm a first time med applicant this cycle. I completely did not expect a U of C interview invite, and really don't have a good idea of what their MMI entails. I might have read that there is some kind of written part? Is this true? Can anyone elaborate on how their MMI is set up, and what you recommend doing to prepare?

Thanks!

here you go: http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/admissions/mmi

Hi all:

Thanks!

I think the written aspect is only at UBC... Calgary doesn't mention it.

Just on the note of MMIs, I've been reading conflicting information, is it bad to have answers that are only 5-6 minutes long? And I also read somewhere that getting prompted lowers your score, is this true?

Thanks.

I think I used every single prompt. From my understanding of what I was told, using prompts does not help you or hinder you. It is just used as a way to continue discussion.

5-6 minute answers can be uncomfortable, mainly because you have to sit the remaining time looking at a person in complete silence. There is, however, a double edged sword where if you try and fill that extra 2-3 minutes with nonsense, that might be the only thing they remember about you.

I recommend trying practice prompts (there are millions circulating around) and try and think of a strategy of things to say that will last 8 minutes. Speak slowly and clearly. If you have to finish early, then finish early and stick with what you said. I finished one session with about 1 minute to spare. It was incredibly awkward but I feel was better than rambling.

Great thanks. That's exactly what I'm doing now and I am hitting about 5-6 minutes depending on the topic. I'll try focus on speaking slower and then hope that there will be prompts to continue discussion so I'm not stuck sitting there quietly for a few minutes. :)

Where are the prompts exactly.

Thanks a lot

Do you get 2 min to read the prompt, then 8min to answer? Or 7min to answer?

Is there food available? (I find I perform best if I have a small snack every hour or so)

Is there coffee available (when I'm teaching I call it my talky-talky juice. Bad, I know)?

Is my driver's license OK for my ID?

Can I have anything on my person (like a pack of gum or my cell phone or something)?

Is there a coat check?

Do you get 2 min to read the prompt, then 8min to answer? Or 7min to answer?

Is there food available? (I find I perform best if I have a small snack every hour or so)

Is there coffee available (when I'm teaching I call it my talky-talky juice. Bad, I know)?

Is my driver's license OK for my ID?

Can I have anything on my person (like a pack of gum or my cell phone or something)?

Is there a coat check?

There will be a place for your coat. No one is going to make you empty your pockets, but I certainly wouldn't chew gum during the interview and would obviously have your phone on silent.

No food or coffee available before, when I did it there was a snack afterwards I think.

2 minutes to read, then you go in, and have 8 minutes inside.

There will be a place for your coat. No one is going to make you empty your pockets, but I certainly wouldn't chew gum during the interview and would obviously have your phone on silent.

No food or coffee available before, when I did it there was a snack afterwards I think.

that's what she said

Thanks for the info!

BTW- I wasn't going to chew gum. I just meant something of that size. But good advice!

When you go into the room, is the question written on the desk as well? Or do you just see it on the door?

both

Is there any place to put your wallet/cellphone- ladies do you recommend taking a purse?

i believe so, I'll be bringing a satchel/handbag so I expect them to have a place for us to store them in the meanwhile.

Archived