Premed 101 Forums

DAT prep material

Guest october

Guest october

I'm writing the DAT in november and was wondering what i should use to prep for it.

I bought the Kaplan prep book but was wondering what else i should use to study. Also, can someone give me more info abt the IQ Publishing book that is very useful for the PAT.

thanx

Guest apical meristems

Hey there.

I suggest purchasing materials from the CDA as well. Get your hands on some soap so you'll know exactly what you're dealing with when you sit to write it on November 6.

The Kaplan guide should be a good tool for preparing for the sciences section, but don't forget that that book is for the American DAT. The American DAT is slightly different from the Canadian. You will not be tested on organic chemistry, nor will you be tested on quantitative reasoning (I think they call it that).

You will, however, be tested on general chemistry, general biology, perceptual ability, manual dexterity and reading skills.

There are Canadian study manuals produced by a company out of Edmonton, but I can't remember its name. Basically, they provide a sample of each of the tests that comprise the Canadian DAT.

Good luck,

apical ;)

Buy the barrons book (its like $20) if only for the PAT section, the science section is full of mistakes. I believe that the IQ publications books are the books apical is talking about, your university bookstore should carry it, its really good for not only PAT practise tests but also science and reading comprehension. Make sure you get all the exams available (Forms A,B,C). I recommend doing a search on the internet if your having trouble finding them,

By the way, here is a link you might want to check out:

www.intltestprep.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db=stuff.dat&category=Canadian%20DAT%20Materials

This link has all the materials you might consider purchasing,

epzi

Guest october

Thanx for the quick replies.

I was just wondering what the difference is between the preparation kit sold by the CDA (the one that costs $60) and the prep kit mentioned in the website above.

Which one would you recommend??

Guest toothy jr

I have only purchased the official soap sticks, but if the ones offered on the website are indeed "chalk" then that is an important point for consideration. You will definitely have a much better handle on carving if you buy at least a few authentic soap pieces. I managed to sneak into a classroom back in the day to carve chalk for free and though the feel is completely different it was beneficial for developing some basic knife skills.

Don't bother ordering the kit on that website, order the cda stuff. If you don't want to spend as much money (save the $5/soap), then maybe practise on chalk at first, but make sure that you do a bunch of cda soaps as well. Don't know how many it'll take to get the technique down, but don't sweat it if your first five to ten carvings suck,

good luck,

epzi

Guest Bigheadbebe

If you need help on techniques on Carving & PAT, try DAT Tutor. Just look at your campus notice board and you should be able to get help. If you are from UBC, I am sure they have session going on in UBC now. I heard that they help students from Toronto too. Not sure about other cities though. 8o

Guest Guyver03

When you buy soaps from CDA, be prepared to place two orders, once about 2-3 months before the exam, and another at about 1 month before the exam. The reason is that the CDA soaps actually age from a fresh, waxy state, to a more brittle, chalky state. When you first order, the chances are that you'll get the chalky soaps, since they are usually left over from last year. As the exam date approaches, they'll start making fresher batches of waxy soap. Since on the exam they'll use the fresher soaps, you should order the fresher soaps just to get adjusted right before the exam. Hope that helps.

Archived