Premed 101 Forums

Anyone hear back from Summer Research program at sickkids or mount sinai?

Anikauoft

• 11 months later...

hey

just wondering what kinda question they ask in the sickkids interview?

and when exactly you heard back from them?

still waiting on a reply i applied to about 10 PIs

really hoping i get one

do you guys know of any other clinical research spots in toronto that are available for students?

I'm a volunteer research student at St. Mike's. I have other commitments every summer, so I wanted a year-round position. I emailed around a hundred PIs in Toronto until one of them said yes.

The more people you get to know in the science and research field, the easier it is to find other opportunities.

hey

just wondering what kinda question they ask in the sickkids interview?

and when exactly you heard back from them?

still waiting on a reply i applied to about 10 PIs

really hoping i get one

do you guys know of any other clinical research spots in toronto that are available for students?

Mt Sinai, Sickkids, St mikes, UHN (toronto west, toronto general, princess marg), rouge valley, baycrest, banting and best, UofT IMS, holland and bloorview, women's hospital, sunnybrook.

All of the above have well established, paid summer research programs for undergrads. Many of which are clinical. Good luck guys :)

Just like to add that applications for these positions are very competitive (like med sch admissions). Most PIs are spoiled for choices (they received so many applications but can only accept one), and they usually prefer someone who already have the basic skills they desire. That's why prior research experience is very important. Whether it's volunteer or paid or part of a course, try to get some prior research experience. It will improve your chances in future if you are not successful this time round. Good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Think it's too late to apply to these programs for a summer placement? I have previous research exp (MSc).... but I'm not sure if time is against me.

SickKids application was due in mid-January and the UofT IMS summer program applications were due in mid-February. Most of these applications fill up quite quickly as I, unfortunately, have come to realize when applying. It's best to start applying in December!

I think the only application left is St. Mike's, which is due in early March. However, with your research experience, I think you can try informally contacting the many labs associated with Sickkids, UofT, etc?

SickKids application was due in mid-January and the UofT IMS summer program applications were due in mid-February. Most of these applications fill up quite quickly as I, unfortunately, have come to realize when applying. It's best to start applying in December!

I think the only application left is St. Mike's, which is due in early March. However, with your research experience, I think you can try informally contacting the many labs associated with Sickkids, UofT, etc?

Alright, thanks for the info! Knew I should've started planning earlier..

• 5 weeks later...

I volunteered in a sick kids lab last summer. This year I applied for the SSuRe program in the same lab as well as a few others. However that lab didn't get the funding to pay for a summer student so they did not take anyone.

Today I visited the lab and after speaking with the PI, he said they were willing to take me for the SSuRe program but it would be unpaid since they don't have enough funding. I accepted it.

• 9 months later...

I volunteered in a sick kids lab last summer. This year I applied for the SSuRe program in the same lab as well as a few others. However that lab didn't get the funding to pay for a summer student so they did not take anyone.

Today I visited the lab and after speaking with the PI, he said they were willing to take me for the SSuRe program but it would be unpaid since they don't have enough funding. I accepted it.

It might not be too late to ask your PI if there are some research awards you can apply for so you can fund your own stipend and not have to work for free.

• 10 months later...

Just like to add that applications for these positions are very competitive (like med sch admissions). Most PIs are spoiled for choices (they received so many applications but can only accept one), and they usually prefer someone who already have the basic skills they desire. That's why prior research experience is very important. Whether it's volunteer or paid or part of a course, try to get some prior research experience. It will improve your chances in future if you are not successful this time round. Good luck! :)

What would be the best course of action if we have very minimal research experience? I have tried (and still am trying) to apply to PIs in general to join labs, but I feel like my GPA is probably weighing me down (only 3.53 from first year). What are some other ways I could increase my chances of being accepted for these kinds of research programs? i.e. should I try volunteering some more to improve my ECs etc... ?

What would be the best course of action if we have very minimal research experience? I have tried (and still am trying) to apply to PIs in general to join labs, but I feel like my GPA is probably weighing me down (only 3.53 from first year). What are some other ways I could increase my chances of being accepted for these kinds of research programs? i.e. should I try volunteering some more to improve my ECs etc... ?

Try to get a volunteer or work-study spot in a lab if you can, as PIs are much less likely to turn away free labour. You might not start off with your own project like you would in one of the formal research programs, but you'll still be building valuable experience and learning new skills that will make you an asset to other labs in the future.

Archived