Premed 101 Forums

Future of PAs in Ontario

Since PAs were denied licensure, I wonder what everyone thinks will be the future of PAs in the province of Ontario (and the rest of Canada).

I want to apply for the program in Manitoba next year but honestly see it as quite a risky investment for any student that chooses to go there (if they plan to return to Ontario or practice elsewhere) since the promise of a job seems not to be so good anymore.

If the plan is to stay in Manitoba, then I think there is job security but in the case that PA jobs dry up in Ontario, there will be a fight for the jobs in Manitoba and that may mean many are left unemployed.

Are any students who have actually graduated or are going to graduate from the PA programs in Canada able to comment about current job prospects? Any insight on what they will be like in the future? What's going to happen now that that the decision was made not to license PAs?

Looking for a good discussion here, as I'm sure many have similar worries. Financially and time-wise it's quite an investment for something we know little about.

PAs were not exactly denied licensure; what happened is the HPRAC thought that the practice of PAs was safe and did not meet a threshold of harm risk and that because there are so few PAs in Ontario at present that the costs of creating regulation are not justified at this time. However, they did recommend that PAs eventually be regulated and that, right now, as a step toward that, the CPSO should create a registry of CCPAs and PA-Cs.

As far as jobs go: are you certainly going to get the specialty you want in the place you want? no. Will you be able to get a job in Ontario? Quite likely.

There are very few guarantees in life and the odds of getting a 6 figure job straight out of school is probably higher for PAs than for any other Professional program I can think of with the exception of residency-trained physicians of course.

But, again, there are no guarantees in life. Stuff happens.

I know that there are several Government-funded positions that are not filled.

Since PAs were denied licensure, I wonder what everyone thinks will be the future of PAs in the province of Ontario (and the rest of Canada).

I want to apply for the program in Manitoba next year but honestly see it as quite a risky investment for any student that chooses to go there (if they plan to return to Ontario or practice elsewhere) since the promise of a job seems not to be so good anymore.

If the plan is to stay in Manitoba, then I think there is job security but in the case that PA jobs dry up in Ontario, there will be a fight for the jobs in Manitoba and that may mean many are left unemployed.

Are any students who have actually graduated or are going to graduate from the PA programs in Canada able to comment about current job prospects? Any insight on what they will be like in the future? What's going to happen now that that the decision was made not to license PAs?

Looking for a good discussion here, as I'm sure many have similar worries. Financially and time-wise it's quite an investment for something we know little about.

Thanks for the info PAStudent.

You're certainly right about there being no guarantees and the likelihood of a high-paying job right out of school.

Just thinking of the long term. Wondering if it's smart to wait and see how things pan out or just gamble and go for it.

Appreciate the input.

I am just curious, what positions are not filled? I have been trying for a while to find any listings for PA jobs in Canada and could not. Even Manitoba does not seem to have any current positions open. I would like to know where some people are working.

I am just curious, what positions are not filled? I have been trying for a while to find any listings for PA jobs in Canada and could not. Even Manitoba does not seem to have any current positions open. I would like to know where some people are working.

The jobs I was referring to are meant exclusively for the current UofT and McMaster grads. The funding for these jobs is only for hiring one of us. The list is made available directly to us and so unless one of us shares it you won't be able to see these jobs.

So, anyone educated outside UofT or Mac cannot get a job in Ontario? It is my understanding that there are some US trained PA's working in Ontario. What about funding? Is it still a part of a pilot project?

No. Lots of non Mac and Uoft Grads working in Ontario. Just that the current funding being offered is only for those grads. Anyone can hire a PA and pay them. One of my jobs is not Ministry funded, I get paid based on OHIP.

So, to bill OHIP your supervising physician has to see every patient after you saw them? Otherwise, I do not think they can bill for your services. Do you prescribe meds in that particular setting, or just do assessments? I assume that it is family medicine office? Do they pay salary or split from billing?

So, to bill OHIP your supervising physician has to see every patient after you saw them? Otherwise, I do not think they can bill for your services. Do you prescribe meds in that particular setting, or just do assessments? I assume that it is family medicine office? Do they pay salary or split from billing?

The actual meaning of "see" and "be involved with" is not well defined. Just as staff physicians often bill for work done by residents, they do the same for PAs.

I do prescribe meds using medical directives (i.e. all my prescriptions have my information, the information of my supervising physician, and the medical directive information).

As I already said, I get paid based on billing in the family medicine setting.

In my emerg gig I am paid a salary.

Archived