Premed 101 Forums

Civil Engineering to Medicine Help?

Hi,

I'll be acquiring my Civil undergrad degree this June 2013 from UWaterloo. I was always undecided between eng. and medicine and really thinking now I made the wrong decision (took 5 years to notice that - I feel like a complete idiot). My GPA as per OMSAS 2013 is as follows:

1st year: 3.36

2nd year: 3.66

3rd year: 3.58

4th year: (2.82 first term + expect 3.5 for last 4th year term) = 3.2

Overall: 3.42

EC:

2 years coop in design/project management/law firm - patent research

Taekwando, piano, salsa teacher

I plan to go to an academic adviser to get their insight but really hoping to get your insight as well:

1. Is it possible to get entry into Med School for Fall 2014/ Spring 2015?

2. Will I be able to do the pre-med courses at UW or soe other school this summer and/or do volunteer work in time for applications?

3. Do you advise doing a second undergrad?

4. Is my GPA too low/average or competitive?

5. I feel motivated (more motivated than I was ever doing my degree) and think I can kill the MCAT.

6. I'm an international student from the Caribbean (looking into PResidency now) - will this affect me and how? - Should have done med right after high school would have been almost done now - sigh.

7. I have an "A's" in A-level Chemistry and Physics -> can this help in the application process.

I'm trying to build a road map so as much input will be required.

PS:

I think I've been depressed (knowing I was doing something I hated) or stuck in a rut for a while but only now noticing it. That term with the extra low GPA was dark, involved lots of drugs and is a blur - so depressed about messing up my life so stupidly.

I just kept telling myself that I will learn to like the field but that didn't work. Anyways, trying to get out and move on. I'll be 24 in September and a little concerned about moving on ASAP since if I did it the right way the first time I may have been done in 2 years or so.

Really happy this thread exist - input is greatly appreciated:) !

Dont look down on yourself because of your age... if this is something you really want, it doesnt matter if you are 18 or 50.

Your grades arent terrible... but as you know, medicine is a very competitive field so based on GPA alone.. it will be difficult.

Also, if you are an international student, the competition is even greater.

My advice, do a second undergrad and ace it! Its not as long as you think and you can probably transfer some credits from your first undergrad to complete the second in a shorter amount of time.

Just remember, age has nothing to do about whether you will become a great physician or not.

Your first step should be getting permanent residency in Canada. Otherwise, it is nearly impossible to study med here as an international student unfortunately :(

Afterwards, you need to improve your GPA. You might need 2 years towards a degree where your GPA > 3.7

1. Is it possible to get entry into Med School for Fall 2014/ Spring 2015?

It is highly unlikely you would be able to do get entry to a Canadian med school given your residency status, GPA, and the fact you haven't written the MCAT yet.

2. Will I be able to do the pre-med courses at UW or soe other school this summer and/or do volunteer work in time for applications?

Most schools do not count summer courses. Furthermore, to really be competitive you will need probably 2-3 more years of undergrad at an OMSAS GPA of 3.85 or greater. You may stand a chance with less (i.e. at McMaster if you do extremely well on MCAT VR + CASPER) but to have a decent chance you're more looking at Fall 2017 entry.

Incidentally you should also improve your ECs, there's a long way to go there. I personally would also question why you want to pursue medicine - I see no indication for why you'd want to completely switch around your career now.

3. Do you advise doing a second undergrad?

Yes. Your chance without a second undergrad is very low.

4. Is my GPA too low/average or competitive?

Too low. The good news is that it's not terrible, and it's in a relatively difficult program. I believe with the right motivation and work ethic you could pull competitive grades.

5. I feel motivated (more motivated than I was ever doing my degree) and think I can kill the MCAT.

If only motivation was all that was required to kill the MCAT.

6. I'm an international student from the Caribbean (looking into PResidency now) - will this affect me and how? - Should have done med right after high school would have been almost done now - sigh.

This is by far the biggest limitation. I'm not sure which schools accept non-PRs. I think there are probably a handful of spots in Canada. For instance, McGill has 4 spots (out of >200) for international students. You will have to individually research which schools you can apply for.

7. I have an "A's" in A-level Chemistry and Physics -> can this help in the application process.

Unfortunately high school marks are not considered.

Archived