Premed 101 Forums

Schools ordered by % of first choice matches

There is no point in making this comparison. It's not a useful indicator of how competitive the students at each school are for residency for the obvious reason that schools with a lot of students with low ambitions tend to rise up in ranks (e.g. NOSM, where everyone applies to FM).

It is an open secret that Mac and Calgary students are uncompetitive for residency due to the two of them being 3 year programs, and yet we see Mac near the top of the list, and Calgary in last. This really illustrates the ambitions of Calgary vs. Mac students :D

at least 15% (if not more) of the mac class this year matched to very competitive specialties including radiology, anesthesiology, plastics, dermatology, urology, ENT, vascular, and emerg. that's not counting those who matched to competitive IM/peds/OB programs.

even in last year's match, despite how many people went unmatched, mac still matched like 5-6 ophtho, 1 plastics, 1 derm, a few rads, a few anes, plus 3 to sick kids for peds, 3-4 for toronto for IM, etc...

Calgary definitely matched very competitively...

Multiple plastics, derm, anesthesia, ENT, rads, obs, optho, emerg, uro, gen surf etc... we even had a couple match to ENT and plastics.

Pretty every school can say that - which makes the entire debate a little off to me. People at any school and match to anything - as a student you just have to be organized and push. People are talking like the school is the thing that makes all these things happen - students I find are the more important factor.

Ha you must not know many Albertans. In my experience I've never met someone who was born and raised in Alberta and wanted to leave. And if they are forced to leave they always end up back in Alberta at some point. People out west are super loyal to their home towns I find. Plus, not getting your home school residency out west could mean you are quite a few hours away from home (except for calgary/edmonton, adjacent western schools are 8-12 hours apart), which could mean a greater desire to match at your home school. Whereas if you're at UofT, mcmaster and queens are within 2 hours of toronto; ottawa has queens and mcgill close by etc so if you do leave, you can still be pretty close to home.

This is totally opposite to my experience. Albertans that I've met have no interest whatsoever in going back there. But anyway, small sample size.

There are many other places in Canada where if locals don't match to their local school, they will be many hours drive away. Halifax/Dalhousie, St Johns/Memorial, Saskatoon/USask, Vancouver/UBC, ThunderBay/Lakehead, Winnipeg/UManitoba, in addition to Calgary and Edmonton.

This is totally opposite to my experience. Albertans that I've met have no interest whatsoever in going back there. But anyway, small sample size.

There are many other places in Canada where if locals don't match to their local school, they will be many hours drive away. Halifax/Dalhousie, St Johns/Memorial, Saskatoon/USask, Vancouver/UBC, ThunderBay/Lakehead, Winnipeg/UManitoba, in addition to Calgary and Edmonton.

yeah if anything CARMS reinforced to me just how incredibly big Canada is. Simply huge.

Indeed. I would say it was a lot harder for me to consider moving to the Prairies let alone BC after I went there than before.

I looked up the driving distance for Winnipeg to my home town after I interviewed there. You know, just one province over sort of thing.

22 hours. 24 if I want to stay in Canada solely during the trip

I could get to Miami in less time.

Archived