Premed 101 Forums

Schools ordered by % of first choice matches

'Program' is the combination of discipline and location, which is what i posted.

ie, my first choice program is internal medicine at university of toronto.

always so hard to interept this stuff :)

Where did this groovy data come from? Do we have the more expanded form? (top specialty, top 3 choices or something).

Where did this groovy data come from? Do we have the more expanded form? (top specialty, top 3 choices or something).

just stats from carms, but compiled into one table. they have 2nd down to 7th choice %'s but it drops very quickly. I thought 1st choice numbers are good enough to give us an overview.

I wonder why the Alberta schools do so poorly and MUN and Western do better. Do you guys think some school just consistently have applicants going for competitive specialities?

Thats great! Are you doing Toronto IM tooty? Congrats!

No I just think it's that Albertans want to stay in Alberta and thus rank Alberta schools as #1. Of course, there are far more applicants than positions for Alberta, so many will have to get their second pick. Same thing probably applies to UBC, and also Sask and Manitoba, though to a lesser degree.

No I just think it's that Albertans want to stay in Alberta and thus rank Alberta schools as #1. Of course, there are far more applicants than positions for Alberta, so many will have to get their second pick. Same thing probably applies to UBC, and also Sask and Manitoba, though to a lesser degree.

Wouldn't that dynamic hold for most schools though? When you've been in a place for a while, chance are you'll like it there, have friends, maybe a family--so wouldn't every school have a large contingent of people who want to stay put? I don't see what's so special or desirable about Alberta compared to everywhere else.

Wouldn't that dynamic hold for most schools though? When you've been in a place for a while, chance are you'll like it there, have friends, maybe a family--so wouldn't every school have a large contingent of people who want to stay put? I don't see what's so special or desirable about Alberta compared to everywhere else.

PARA has a great agreement.

I don't know if these numbers still hold true (they are from 2011), but at that time, Alberta residents were the highest paid in Canada:

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2011/03/09/medical-residents-in-alberta-the-highest-paid-in-canada/

just stats from carms, but compiled into one table. they have 2nd down to 7th choice %'s but it drops very quickly. I thought 1st choice numbers are good enough to give us an overview.

no you are right - for a sec there I thought the list included this year's data and thus new for me to crunch :)

It's fun to do while I procrastinate :) I took a brief look at first choice disciplines too but they're all pretty high. Gonna work on normalizing the above values to number of people who applied to competitive programs

I worked a little bit on that too. For the year 2012 and applied to Qc universities only, I excluded people who had FM as first choice and wanted to see the adjusted first-choice-"specialty-only"-discipline match rate and the results were quite shocking for my MD university :eek:

the problem is there are lots of programs that are less competitive than FM. you'd have to add them up too.

And how do you define competitive? Use FM as a cutoff? Use our first-choice-to-seats ratio of 1.0 as a cutoff?

Ha you must not know many Albertans. In my experience I've never met someone who was born and raised in Alberta and wanted to leave. And if they are forced to leave they always end up back in Alberta at some point. People out west are super loyal to their home towns I find. Plus, not getting your home school residency out west could mean you are quite a few hours away from home (except for calgary/edmonton, adjacent western schools are 8-12 hours apart), which could mean a greater desire to match at your home school. Whereas if you're at UofT, mcmaster and queens are within 2 hours of toronto; ottawa has queens and mcgill close by etc so if you do leave, you can still be pretty close to home.

I don't think our match this year is indicative of the above... we've had tons of people match to Toronto, maybe 15 in BC, some are leaving for the East Coast and some for the prairies.

A good chunk go to Calgary especially.

They say 50% of graduates at any Canadian university will stay in their home institution.

There is no point in making this comparison. It's not a useful indicator of how competitive the students at each school are for residency for the obvious reason that schools with a lot of students with low ambitions tend to rise up in ranks (e.g. NOSM, where everyone applies to FM).

It is an open secret that Mac and Calgary students are uncompetitive for residency due to the two of them being 3 year programs, and yet we see Mac near the top of the list, and Calgary in last. This really illustrates the ambitions of Calgary vs. Mac students :D

Archived