Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS anxiety

Hello my fellow PM101 friends,

congrats to all of those who have surpassed the carms hurdle and have matched on mar 5th!

i'm currently in my third year( half the year has gone by so fast!) and i'm really starting to think about all my electives and my career options. i have to admit though, that this whole carms process is giving me way too much anxiety.

i swear things are just busier and busier. it feels like i have a full time job: that of attending clinics and call, rotation exams, and then i have to go home to an empty house, cook, clean, sleep. Exercise has become sporadic, and studying at the end of the day is a dream! So now i'm gripped with serious anxiety - how the heck am i going to survive year 3, and prepare myself for carms and the interview madness?

i prepared for my interviews well in advance for medical school, and in undergrad i had the luxury of time to devote to practice (i'm the type of person who is not confident until i've practiced giving mock interviews).

so my question to my seniors is: how did you do it? is there time at the end of the day to write your applications during electives, to prepare for interviews, is it a happier time where you can have some me-time to reflect on your skills and strengths and abilities?

what is the best way to prepare for interviews?

am i the only one who is feeling this much anxiety? :( how do you deal with the small voice in the back of your head that says, "what if you don't match?"

appreciate any words of wisdom!

First of all, its pretty common at this point in third year to feel overwhelmed and stressed about carms. Watching the year above you give talks about surviving the match process feels surreal and I remember being in your shoes and thinking there was no way it was going to work out.

That being said, you need to take a big breath and focus a bit rather than let the anxiety get the best of you. Worrying about interview prep shouldn't even come into play until next January, there are many steps before then.

Third year is much more stressful and busy in terms of exams and rotations. By 4th year you will be almost always on elective and in a focused area of medicine with some less strenuous rotations. At my school, we don't have overnight call in 4th year. Some schools have electives only.

I think if I were in your shoes I would prioritize the following:

1. Pick a discipline you want to apply to

2. Pick a second discipline you will apply to

3. Strategically book electives in the specialties and locations you want

4. Double and triple check that those electives are booked and not cancelled.

5. Look up the reference letter requirements for each school and be aware of how many you need and from what type of people

6. Have your CV updated

7. Excel on all your rotations and electives and get letters as mentioned above.

8. Keep a log of interesting patients and encounters that have impacted you.

Those things should keep you occupied till August-September, when you will sit down and start on your carms application. I promise you will have and make time to do it. interviews invites don't come out until late December and you really can't fret about them until you actually have the invites. Planning an interview schedule is another can of worms but again, not something you need to think about now as its not in your control. Focus on what you can impact as of today, next week and next month.

It will be ok! Carms is a beast but remember that ~%90 of med students match to their top 3 choices and this system has been in place for a long time. It takes an extraordinary amount of work but you can do it!

Ps: keep up the exercise. It will keep you sane.

Thank you so much!! I don't know how to explain this, but this is the most sane, and most needed advice. Deep down inside, i too know i need to break things down into manageable chunks, but it's so good to hear it from another as a reminder to let go and focus on what's within my control.

good luck to you with your LMCCs and your residency,

take care,

fuzzy dino

Hey 1fuzzy2dino3,

I find knowledge is empowering when anxious about something like CaRMS. I've put together an entire mentorship section on my blog that focuses primarily on the many questions that Canadian medical students have as they go through the CaRMS process in their final two years. There's a bit of an emerg focus (because that's what I know), but most of the information is universally applicable.

Check it out here:

http://boringem.org/category/mentorship/

I imagine that at this point you'd be particularly interested in my posts on Elective Behavior that Induces Interview Invitations:

http://boringem.org/2013/03/02/elective-behavior-that-induces-interview-invitations/

And the Reference Letter Triple Crown:

http://boringem.org/2013/02/04/the-reference-letter-triple-crown/

I also have posts on CaRMS from a pre/during/post interview perspective and am working on a post about organizing electives that will be posted soon.

I hope it's helpful! All the best.

-brent

Hey 1fuzzy2dino3,

I find knowledge is empowering when anxious about something like CaRMS. I've put together an entire mentorship section on my blog that focuses primarily on the many questions that Canadian medical students have as they go through the CaRMS process in their final two years. There's a bit of an emerg focus (because that's what I know), but most of the information is universally applicable.

Check it out here:

http://boringem.org/category/mentorship/

I imagine that at this point you'd be particularly interested in my posts on Elective Behavior that Induces Interview Invitations:

http://boringem.org/2013/03/02/elective-behavior-that-induces-interview-invitations/

And the Reference Letter Triple Crown:

http://boringem.org/2013/02/04/the-reference-letter-triple-crown/

I also have posts on CaRMS from a pre/during/post interview perspective and am working on a post about organizing electives that will be posted soon.

I hope it's helpful! All the best.

-brent

awesome! thanks :) i've read a few of your posts already and you write v well.

8. Keep a log of interesting patients and encounters that have impacted you.

This is good advice. I think my interviews would have gone better had I done this. Pay special attention to positive and negative examples for each of the CanMed roles. I was asked several times to talk specifically about being a health advocate, professional, manager, etc.

What specialty are you interested in?

positive example of advocate: you successfully advocated for a patient

negative example of advocate: you didn't advocate for a patient when you should have. shows humility and maturity imo. i used this example at my interview for the program i matched to.

i swear things are just busier and busier. it feels like i have a full time job: that of attending clinics and call, rotation exams, and then i have to go home to an empty house, cook, clean, sleep. Exercise has become sporadic, and studying at the end of the day is a dream! So now i'm gripped with serious anxiety - how the heck am i going to survive year 3, and prepare myself for carms and the interview madness?

You have more than a full time job if you count up your hours... With this said, you really get a sense of what you signed up for in clerkship. The busyness of life does not change for sometime. Residency is not much different. But you will survive. Starting clerkship and CaRMS is yet another big jump in learning. It is kinda like starting high school or starting university. A big part of clerkship is learning how to manage life with medicine and your educational requirements. But come CaRMS time you will figure out what works for you.

i prepared for my interviews well in advance for medical school, and in undergrad i had the luxury of time to devote to practice (i'm the type of person who is not confident until i've practiced giving mock interviews).

so my question to my seniors is: how did you do it? is there time at the end of the day to write your applications during electives, to prepare for interviews, is it a happier time where you can have some me-time to reflect on your skills and strengths and abilities?

Yes, there is time during electives. Make life easier and reflect on things now. Reflect on situation XYZ during those short moments you have for yourself during the day. During med school at UofT there was a monthly reflection you need to write up and discuss during clerkship. It was very useful for CaRMS. You might want to keep a journal. It sounds cheesy, but it would make your life easier come CaRMS.

I procrastinated like crazy during CaRMS apps. I was away from home on an elective. I was busy and had long days. I left a major part of my personal statement writing to the last few days. The day before CaRMS apps was due I fell and broke by arm, and was pretty much high on percocet while splinted finishing my apps... I matched into a competitive first choice specialty at my second choice location. You find a way. But don't procrastinate and be dumb like me.

am i the only one who is feeling this much anxiety? :( how do you deal with the small voice in the back of your head that says, "what if you don't match?"

appreciate any words of wisdom!

Totally normal to have such thoughts. A healthy amount of anxiety is useful during CaRMS. With this said, the vast majority match. The game at this point is all about how well you play with others. If you are sociable and hardworking you will match. Everything from clerkship onward is mostly about how easy you are to work with, not about how smart or ambitious you are.

Is it stressful? Yup. Is it doable? Totally.

Everything from clerkship onward is mostly about how easy you are to work with, not about how smart or ambitious you are.

Small caveat: (easy to work with + smart + ambitious) > (easy to work with + average skills/knowledge + "pass=MD") when it comes to CaRMS.

That being said, I agree with the above. Make use of downtime during the day. Plan ahead so you are not caught by surprise by deadlines (submit everything the night before, in case the system locks up!).

If possible, schedule lighter electives/rotations leading up to the application deadline and up to the interview. Dig out the materials you used to prepare for medical school interviews, and go through them over the holidays.

Be reminded that the time spent worrying is time you could spend working on your application and improving your chances - be proactive and constructive. Have a backup plan, but you can save the worrying about going unmatched for after the rank list is submitted, when it won't affect your interview performance...

Dig out the materials you used to prepare for medical school interviews, and go through them over the holidays.

I agree with everything said above.

Just as an FYI for future CC4s...

This book below was one I read back when I was interviewing for med school. It was a pretty good book, written by an MD, MBA. I always liked the approach it used towards interviewing. It is very short, about 100 pages. I reread it prior to CaRMS. It was a nice refresher. If you see it around give it a quick read.

The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success

Also I think most schools offer mock CaRMS interviews and personal statement reviews. Use these services if offered!

And definitely leave enough time to have people proof-read your personal statements/letters. Certain turns of phrase that may sound great in your head may not read so clearly on paper. And tiny errors can slip your notice when you're dealing with 10-20 letters. Things like, "I really like Ottawa," in your letter to Winnipeg.

My advice is to take an "easy rotation" the month when you'll be writing motivation letters and otherwise working on your application.

Start asking for recommendation letters the first day possible.

Ask for more letters than you need, because some perceptors might forget or send the letter last minute.

By a "power suit":)

Practice for interviews.

Don't spend your time talking with other applicants as it will only bring you more stress, rather talk to those who already been through the process (the residents, or senior clerks)

Show your motivation letters to only few people, whose input is important to you.

Start working on your cv and motivation letter during the summer (when you have a month long vacation).

As I said before, the most important thing, in my opinion, is to avoid discussing the application process too much with other applicants, because it will just add to your stress.

Focus on being matched, rather than your stress.

The first interview will be tough, but it will get easier as the interview season goes on.

As other posters have said, it's important to show that you're assertive and a leader, while able to work in a team environment.

Exercice, it helps to reduce your stress, plus you'll look better in your suit:)

Good luck! Thousands of people go through the process each year. It's stressful, but you'll get through it!

Archived