Premed 101 Forums

Ontario Accelerated Nursing Acceptances - 2013

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

I applied to all of the compressed nursing programs across Canada as well! :) As of February 28th I received an offer from Western and York University for their compressed programs. I have yet to hear from anywhere else though. Has anyone else heard back yet from anywhere?

Hey everyone

I got an acceptance email from UofT this afternoon. I also called Denice Litzan at UWO and found out that they have already accepted me there as well - she said I'll get my acceptance letter sometime next week. I'm still waiting on Mac at the moment, but I know they send out acceptances a little later on.

Pixiwoo,

What is your top school choice? I have done a lot of research and my top two choices were Western and Mac. However, upon talking to a previous Mac accelerated grad and discussing the 'problem-based learning' style- I am now leaning more towards Western, what about you?

helm1190,

Western is also my top choice as of right now. I was hoping to talk to some nurses on the unit I volunteer on to see what they thought of the compressed programs at Western, Mac and UofT. Congratulations on getting accepted to UWO and York!

Hey everyone

I got an acceptance email from UofT this afternoon. I also called Denice Litzan at UWO and found out that they have already accepted me there as well - she said I'll get my acceptance letter sometime next week. I'm still waiting on Mac at the moment, but I know they send out acceptances a little later on.

Grats for UfT! Didn't realize they were already sending out acceptances. :P

@helm1190,

What part turned you off about PBL? I've heard some mixed reactions to the process. Just curious to note.

@ Pink Tulip,

I spoke to recent MAC accelerated nursing graduate on the phone who is currently working full-time as an RN in Ontario. She told me she did not want to completely deter me from the accelerated program at Mac, but she also wanted to give me an honest review of her experience. She told me the Problem Based Learning is a great concept, in theory. However, she told me that they take the PBL learning wayyyy overboard. She said a lot of learning is independent- you have to read and basically teach yourself the entire curriculum. She mentioned that there are 'tutors' available who sit in on each of your problem based tutorials weekly (small groups that students are assigned to at the beginning of program),however, they do not actually do any formal teaching- the tutors are there more to watch over the problem based tutorial session. She mentioned that she did enjoy the group meetings, however, the program would/could be a lot more solid if PBL was mixed in with regular, scheduled lectures. She found that when they would work through problems/the curriculum with her group- they would often split up the work- but if an individual did not do their section, or completed their section of the assignment poorly- that was left up to YOU to do and do their work too! This resulted in extra, unnecessary hours spent making up portions of the curriculum which were not covered properly in her PBL group. Although the student did attain a very high average while attending Mac- she stressed the fact that for the amount of work she had to do (which she said was tremendous)- she actually didn't learn that much content. She did not feel fully prepared when entering the nursing work force. She also mentioned that when entering the workforce, hiring hospitals and health care facilities are often VERY wary of students who come from Mac's PBL program- as the teaching style does not seem to sit well with many institutions and hiring hospitals and does not seem to cover as much important information as traditional nursing schools. She also mentioned to me that she could not truly tell me that she knew one person in her graduating class that actually liked the learning style and curriculum in the accelerated program at McMaster.

At other more traditional nursing schools like Western, there are regular lectures, tests and assignments AND group work. So you still get the connection and time spent learning and working with other nursing students, but also attend lectures to clarify information and topics- like a normal university program usually runs.

For this reason, I am now fully leaning towards Western as my number one school- and the bonus it is the fastest in Canada @ 19 months until completion!

Hopefully this helps!! :)

@helm1190 that sounds very similar to the experience my physiotherapist had with McMasters's physical therapy program. She also said that once she graduated, she went out and took every continuing education physical therapy course that she could, because she felt she was lacking a lot in knowledge.

Other people, though, seem to love the PBL approach. It really seems to depend on an individual's learning style.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! I was accepted to U of T yesterday by e-mail, which is the only nursing program I applied to. I'll be accepting for the time being - I'm interviewing at McMaster for med school, so if I'm accepted there I'll have a tough choice to make come May (I'm honestly not sure which I'd rather do). Good luck to everyone waiting!

Osteogeek,

Congratulations on your U of T acceptance and Mac interview, that is an amazing accomplishment. I debated applying to medical schools this past year, but I did not have time to write my MCAT this past summer so I ended up applying to only fast-track nursing programs. Do you mind me asking what program, university and year of study you are in and your grade point average- I am just curious as I might end up applying to medical school down the road. Did you have a lot of co-curriculars and volunteering experience as well?

Thank you and good luck!

Osteogeek,

Congratulations on your U of T acceptance and Mac interview, that is an amazing accomplishment. I debated applying to medical schools this past year, but I did not have time to write my MCAT this past summer so I ended up applying to only fast-track nursing programs. Do you mind me asking what program, university and year of study you are in and your grade point average- I am just curious as I might end up applying to medical school down the road. Did you have a lot of co-curriculars and volunteering experience as well?

Thank you and good luck!

Hi helm1190,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I haven't been on the forums in a couple of days. Thanks for the congratulations! I did my undergrad at U of T in anthropology, and am currently finishing up a 2-year research based MA at Western (though I also applied to the U of T BScN 2 years ago when applying to MA programs and was accepted, but turned down the acceptance to do my Master's, so I don't necessarily think the MA helped in admissions). My OMSAS cGPA is a 3.67, and I don't qualify for any of the school weighting formulas for med (though my last 10 for nursing are significantly higher). I do what I would consider to be a lot of extracurricular stuff - I've always had at least one job while in school, I have a couple of long-term volunteer commitments, and I've been pretty heavily involved with the organizations, I've been involved in organizations on campus (as president of a couple, and I'm currently co-editing a peer-reviewed journal). That being said, McMaster doesn't actually look at your extra-curriculars in their admissions process - to determine whether you get an interview, the score is 32% cGPA, 32% MCAT VR score (I got an 11 on VR and didn't do well on the other two sections, FYI), and 32% CASPER assessment, with up to 4% being added as a bonus for completed graduate degrees.

If you're interested in applying to med, I'd say go for it - take a look at which schools you have the best shot at based on your undergrad GPA, and once you've written the MCAT, see where your scores get you. I'm by no means an expert, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me or ask.

Cheers!

ARGH. Sorry, I just have to vent somewhere.

I was accepted to U of T via e-mail on March 20th. When I applied and was accepted in 2011 (I turned it down to do a Master's), I was accepted by e-mail March 23rd, my letter/package was dated April 8th, and I received it in mid April, so I wasn't concerned that I hadn't received my package yet this year. The mail came at 5pm today, and in it was my package - with a response and deposit deadline of TOMORROW. I've e-mailed and called them, and ran to the bank and post office and thankfully got it sent out priority (they tell me it should arrive tomorrow), but so much unnecessary stress! I don't understand why they don't send us an electronic copy of the package, or even our response deadline in the initial e-mail so that things like this don't happen.

Sorry, rant over. Good luck to everyone else applying, and if you're accepted to U of T, learn from me and be super on top of where your admissions package is.

ARGH. Sorry, I just have to vent somewhere.

I was accepted to U of T via e-mail on March 20th. When I applied and was accepted in 2011 (I turned it down to do a Master's), I was accepted by e-mail March 23rd, my letter/package was dated April 8th, and I received it in mid April, so I wasn't concerned that I hadn't received my package yet this year. The mail came at 5pm today, and in it was my package - with a response and deposit deadline of TOMORROW. I've e-mailed and called them, and ran to the bank and post office and thankfully got it sent out priority (they tell me it should arrive tomorrow), but so much unnecessary stress! I don't understand why they don't send us an electronic copy of the package, or even our response deadline in the initial e-mail so that things like this don't happen.

Sorry, rant over. Good luck to everyone else applying, and if you're accepted to U of T, learn from me and be super on top of where your admissions package is.

I was accepted to U of T nursing on March 28th and haven't received a package yet in the mail. I didn't know a deposit was required?? Now I'm nervous about not getting the package yet! Did you have 2 weeks to accept/give deposit?

Hi Liz,

I was accepted March 27th via e-mail, and I got my package on April 2nd. It says I need to respond with my $500 deposit by April 10th. I assume this means that you will need to respond by April 11th. You still have time, but if you're worried, I would suggest responding to the acceptance e-mail, saying that you accept the invite, but have not yet received the package.

Archived