Premed 101 Forums

What are your plans to keep busy until May 14th???

Thought i would start a fun thread to share what you have planned to keep busy over the next month or so...we may just inspire each other! Bonus marks for randomness.

So here is what I'm doing in the next month:

- getting a tattoo

- shopping trip to Ikea

- finish up a few sewing projects

- watch latest seasons of Walking Dead and Breaking Bad

- walking my dog (she really needs to lose weight)

- and of course working...

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IKEA!!! Me and my sister go there to catch up on things over lunch. She brought her boyfriend last time and as we were leaving, after having eaten, he looked at us confused and said "Aren't you going to go buy something?". Me and sister looked at each other and just shrugged. "We just come here for the cheap food."

IKEA!!! Me and my sister go there to catch up on things over lunch. She brought her boyfriend last time and as we were leaving, after having eaten, he looked at us confused and said "Aren't you going to go buy something?". Me and sister looked at each other and just shrugged. "We just come here for the cheap food."

Haha! That's awesome!

Thought i would start a fun thread to share what you have planned to keep busy over the next month or so...we may just inspire each other! Bonus marks for randomness.

- getting a tattoo

- shopping trip to Ikea

lol let me save you time, it's a terrible final season.

- getting a tattoo

- shopping trip to Ikea

Me too! What are you thinking of getting?

For me it's helpful to break it up and think of it in segments. I have exams until the 24th of April, and then there are 3 weeks left. Those 3 weeks will probably go slowly since school always makes time move quickly. In those 3 weeks I'm going to try to focus on enjoying being done my degree, spend lots of time outside as the weather (hopefully) warms up, have fun playing with my man and our baby.

I also thought it would be interesting, if i got into med, to speak to an elder to learn about the traditional medicine of my ancestors. I was going to wait until i got in but then i realized, whether I get in somewhere or not, this is something I can do for my own connection to my identity and community. So I'm going to get that started. It's also a nice way to remember that life doesn't begin and end with getting into med school, as much as it feels that way.

I hope everybody's holding up ok!

It's also a nice way to remember that life doesn't begin and end with getting into med school, as much as it feels that way.

I hope everybody's holding up ok!

Let me reassure you life doesnt start with med school ... life just changes. And life certainly doesnt end during med school though life shuts down for a few weeks before exams to cram all of the information in for said event ... but life resumes after that :)

Beef

So here we all are, staring down that long tunnel of five weeks. Was walking home from work today and thinking about it and how it felt like an eternity.

So what am I going to do? Well, I was taking my 12U biology from high school through correspondence as I'm an arts graduate and didn't want to start med school if I got in not knowing what a mitochondria was. I know you cover it all anyway but thought some basic knowledge would help the transition. So I have to study for and write my final which should take up a week.

Other than that: mundane things like working and doing my taxes, as well as some more exciting things like training for my first Spartan Race on June 16, and heading to algonquin park the last weekend in april for the first weekend of trout season :)

Despite having these things on the go, I'm sure there will be more than enough time for me to drive myself crazy thinking about it.

Something I did to ease this is that I (nerd alert!) wrote my future self a note saying how great I felt after the interview, and that I didn't feel like I bombed any station. From what I understand, it is pretty common for applicants to feel like they did well immediately after the interview, and by the time the big day rolls around many have convinced themselves that it went terrible and they won't get in, so this way I hope to save myself from that torture a bit.

Oh, and beers with lwu018 and GI Geoff! Totallyyyyyyyyyyyyy

RR

[quote name= From what I understand' date=' it is pretty common for applicants to feel like they did well immediately after the interview, and by the time the big day rolls around many have convinced themselves that it went terrible and they won't get in, so this way I hope to save myself from that torture a bit.

RR[/quote]

I totally feel like that!!!

So here we all are, staring down that long tunnel of five weeks. Was walking home from work today and thinking about it and how it felt like an eternity.

So what am I going to do? Well, I was taking my 12U biology from high school through correspondence as I'm an arts graduate and didn't want to start med school if I got in not knowing what a mitochondria was. I know you cover it all anyway but thought some basic knowledge would help the transition. So I have to study for and write my final which should take up a week.

Other than that: mundane things like working and doing my taxes, as well as some more exciting things like training for my first Spartan Race on June 16, and heading to algonquin park the last weekend in april for the first weekend of trout season :)

Despite having these things on the go, I'm sure there will be more than enough time for me to drive myself crazy thinking about it.

Something I did to ease this is that I (nerd alert!) wrote my future self a note saying how great I felt after the interview, and that I didn't feel like I bombed any station. From what I understand, it is pretty common for applicants to feel like they did well immediately after the interview, and by the time the big day rolls around many have convinced themselves that it went terrible and they won't get in, so this way I hope to save myself from that torture a bit.

Oh, and beers with lwu018 and GI Geoff! Totallyyyyyyyyyyyyy

RR

Glad to hear your interview went well RR :D I like your note idea, I think I will have to try that out next time. Can't wait to get back into Ottawa though so we can meet up for drinks! Should be back by the 27th. Oh, and good luck with the Spartan Race, I heard it's intense!

As for myself, I'm keeping busy with classes, work and volunteer until the 26th. After that, I'll be back in Ottawa and intend to become a regular at Pub Italia with G.I. Geoff until May 14th :P Also thinking about travelling down to Chicago with the girlfriend for a week between the 27th and the 14th. Of course, I'll also be living on the forums between now and the 14th :o Hope all of you are coping well with the wait!

My finals are all spread out until April 27th! So thank god that will keep me busy for the whole month... Then on May 7th I am headed to Cuba until the 14th! I fly back that day!! It's either going to be an AWESOME flight back or a really depressing one... lol

Right now I am focusing on getting all of my marking done for Friday. I am planning on heading to Ottawa next week to visit my boyfriend (which seems to be a popular spot on this thread- I will prob spend a lot of time around the market which I love this time of year so maybe I will see some fellow premeders there!). After that I am going to throw myself into my research. Probably try to publish some papers and catch up on game of thrones and do some reading. I also tend to work out a lot more than usual the days leading up to May 14.

Hope everyone is keeping busy and trying not to drive themselves crazy with this! (though I know its hard not too!).

Completely on the same page as everyone...felt like the interview went very well right after (I actually understand now when everyone says MMIs aren't that bad haha), but as time goes on there's a few stations where I can't help but feel my answer was not as good as it could have been.

Luckily I have a lot of studying to do between now and May 14, I write the RN licensing exam in June so there's a lot of material to cover. I'm also starting jobs at TBRHSC and VON so adjusting to those will keep me busy.

Fingers crossed for everyone!

My finals are all spread out until April 27th! So thank god that will keep me busy for the whole month... Then on May 7th I am headed to Cuba until the 14th! I fly back that day!! It's either going to be an AWESOME flight back or a really depressing one... lol

This is the best way to pass the time I've heard so far. I'm visiting family in Wpg and i believe it was -26 when I went for a walk yesterday morning. No Cuba libres in sight for me. Maybe a hot toddy.

Well, being a non-trad applicant, life goes on pretty much normal for me. Still working the 8-4 cubicle job for the government until such time as I receive news that a change in career is in order (or not).

My 8-4 cubicle job for the government killed my soul and motivated me to search for a career where i would be connecting meaningfully with people and hence my eventual med application - so I totally hear you! Good luck.

As a non-grad, my girls are keeping me busy with their extra curricular activities and day to day family life. I wish I had a full-time job to help pass the time. Still though I am working part time and keeping busy with community involvement. Nothing too exciting at the moment. Like everyone else, waiting eagerly for spring to finally arrive. :-)

ditto on waiting for spring...i have learned to accept that spring does not become a remote possibility here until 'mid may', and to be on the safe side, the May 2-4 weekend....so hoping by May 14 i can ditch my down coat!

keeping busy with my job and boy, weekends are for swimming, movies, wine and sleeping!

After I finish exams (very late) I'm headed back home and intend on enjoying Thunder Bay for the last two weeks while working, as I'm not sure how long that will last if i get in :P

If you get accepted to NOSM and/or spend anytime in Northern Ontario it's referred to as May Run weekend. Some interesting Northern Ontario lingo there for you.

I've heard 'May Run' maybe 5 times in my life. It's May TwoFour in NWO, regardless of the actual Victoria Day.

Archived