Premed 101 Forums

May 15th support group

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks crossfit.

I think a lot of the comments on the blog are in relation to the acceptance date being earlier in future years. It's good for them to know.

Live life like you won't be accepted. If you are, you get to have happy problems, like surferdoc says. But be honest with possible employers and see if they can work around things if you have to leave.

Thanks crossfit.

I think a lot of the comments on the blog are in relation to the acceptance date being earlier in future years. It's good for them to know.

Live life like you won't be accepted. If you are, you get to have happy problems, like surferdoc says. But be honest with possible employers and see if they can work around things if you have to leave.

I think this states it well.

On a side note it looks like Dr. Walker has confirmed that they may try to change the notification date for next year! That will be a huge help, although waiting continues to be painful this year, May 15th it is.

He's now posted three times, the last one is the new applicant manual for next year, some changes to GPA and MCAT. Lots to go read.

So are they only contacting verifiers for people that have made the cut? Or do they randomly contact everyones verifiers post-interview (this would seem rather unnecessary, given that they have all the numbers...). I haven't heard anything from any of my verifiers all year, and I'm beginning to fell like one of those paranoid parrot memes lol

So are they only contacting verifiers for people that have made the cut? Or do they randomly contact everyones verifiers post-interview (this would seem rather unnecessary, given that they have all the numbers...). I haven't heard anything from any of my verifiers all year, and I'm beginning to fell like one of those paranoid parrot memes lol

From what I've been told from others on the board (so who knows how accurate I am haha) verifiers are not necessarily contacted. Some people are offered positions and their verifiers are never contacted and vice versa. A successful applicant told me a couple years ago that they look for red flags: using yourself as a verifier, same family name, non-supervisor verifer, maybe even odd descriptions of the activity. So it probably doesn't matter if your verifiers haven't been contacted! :)

I'm glad nothing has changed that will affect me personally. Sorry for those who the changes do affect, especially those who must rewrite the MCAT.

I'm kind of glad the notifications aren't coming out until May15th. I purposely have scheduled myself to work a lot (in fact, I don't have a single day off between now and May 10th) by which time it will be too close to notification day for me to have a nervous breakdown. HOWEVER, if I was at work (where I can't check my email) and I knew there was a possibility of something in my inbox, I would go crazy all day long thinking "itmightbethereitmightbethere".

The newest post making albertan applicants GPA < 3.4 and VR < 8

Well this seems a little of their application cycle from last year.

Didn't they accept ~10 people wiht a GPA less than 3.4 and about 15-20 people with a VR less than 8...

This just seems counter inuitive.

I think it is a fair assumption that they would not have accepted people with both scores so low.. This implies that about 25-30 people in the 2015 class would not have made it if these regulations were 'strict' (which they are not)

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is about 15-17% of their current graduating class...

The newest post making albertan applicants GPA < 3.4 and VR < 8

Well this seems a little of their application cycle from last year.

Didn't they accept ~10 people wiht a GPA less than 3.4 and about 15-20 people with a VR less than 8...

This just seems counter inuitive.

I think it is a fair assumption that they would not have accepted people with both scores so low.. This implies that about 25-30 people in the 2015 class would not have made it if these regulations were 'strict' (which they are not)

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is about 15-17% of their current graduating class...

you may have missed the part where it says these people are pre-screened, not necessarily excluded.

yes.. he was saying that they had considered making it a firm minimum..

to be honest, im actually surprised it isn't already... even though i, myself, am dangerously close to that. it's just so difficult to get into med schools these days with many applicants having amazing GPAs, VRs in addition to many other awesome characteristics..

so i actually take comfort in knowing just how lenient they are with those requirements.

I tried finding the schedule for this summer (i.e. when classes start, orientation week, etc.) but they changed their webpage to reflect the 2013/2014 application cycle. Does anyone know where I can get these events and dates?

I don't know where to find that but I remember classes/orientation starting July 31

Question for current students in U of C Med program:

I was under the impression that there was a fair amount of free time for studying, doing pre-clerkships, etc during the most days. After looking a little more closely at the timetable online it looks like days are packed from 8:30 to 5:30.

When is there this 'free-time' outside of classes? Or is it a myth?

Question for current students in U of C Med program:

I was under the impression that there was a fair amount of free time for studying, doing pre-clerkships, etc during the most days. After looking a little more closely at the timetable online it looks like days are packed from 8:30 to 5:30.

When is there this 'free-time' outside of classes? Or is it a myth?

You get plenty of what's called "IST" independent study time in the first course. However, after the 1st course, you get plenty of extra things that you need to slot into the "IST". So basically you end up only having like 1-2 4 hour blocks of IST per week, or less.

Or you could just stay home and podcast. For most courses, that works pretty well. Overall, I felt that they advertised IST a bit too much on interview day when I interviewed. Fortunately, I like going to class.

Man the crazy thing is that looking at this thread takes me back to years ago...

I won't be meeting any of you guys come orientation as I'll have escaped the cold but I hope you guys get the ugliest animal name possible and enjoy your time here in CowTown.

It's only the first step of your journey so don't stress out.

For some words of encouragement, there was a saying by a former Carnegie Mellon professor: walls are not there to keep you out, they're there for you to show how much you want something.

Good luck!

Archived