Premed 101 Forums

Pediatrics in Saskatoon

jonesen

As someone who went to U of S for undergrad, and is now doing a residency in a city with a children's hospital, the answers to your questions are:

no, no, and no.

that being said i'm sure there are many positives about the program. but there is no comparison between u of s, and other schools with bigger programs.

I don't know that their IM program is weak so much as that it's larger than you might expect given the size of the centre. In any case, it has more spots than there's interest from USask med classes, so they end up with lots of unmatched spots more or less chronically. The problem comes then when you have more than half of spots filled in the second round, meaning a sizeable number of residents didn't want to be there in the first place or even do IM. Some are simply the very unlucky and a few may not have been great candidates generally.

• 3 weeks later...

Bricks and mortar do not a children's hospital make.

I would be cautious using the presence of a physical children's hospital as a way of judging a pediatrics program. It may be a feature common to the better* pediatrics training sites, but it alone does not, and will not, define the quality of training and experience you will obtain.

The same could be said of any program, only (insert other-infrastructural-element-here).

(* - where "better" equals the traditional definitions of excellence with research, clinical exposure, and didactic quality. Individual preferences, goals, and "best fit" may vary.)

Agree with above. I know my friend in the MUN Peds program loves it, though there is a small children's hospital in St John's. I can't really speak for other programs, but Dal seems to be well regarded along with the Alberta programs and UBC. I don't know much about Ottawa or Queens's (though I worked with a great staff from there). You'd probably get good training in Toronto but at the expense of hands-on exposure due to the type of institution that SickKids is.

The presence of a Children's hospital doesn't mean a whole lot on its own. You'll get a very different experience at a regional referral centre compared to a tertiary/quaternary centre that does transplants and pediatric cardiac and neurosurgery. (The IWK falls into the latter category)

Archived