Premed 101 Forums

Peds content question

Studying for the MCCQE and having trouble with all the peds syndromes. Anybody with a strategy?

I envision a nice table with the most commonly tested syndromes (DiGeorge, Williams etc.) and the clinical features to remember. But I can't find anything like this.

I need a brief summary. I can't bring myself to read chapters right now.

Any thoughts?

Oh god... don't worry about it. It's not worth the effort for the one question you might get on weird syndromes. Better to spend 10 minutes looking at fetal heart tracings and common causes of neonatal resp distress or stridor.

Even then, I assure you it won't feel like studying more will make a difference.

Oh god... don't worry about it. It's not worth the effort for the one question you might get on weird syndromes. Better to spend 10 minutes looking at fetal heart tracings and common causes of neonatal resp distress or stridor.

Even then, I assure you it won't feel like studying more will make a difference.

One question, really? It just keeps coming up on the Canada Qbank. Okay.

I don't know how reliable that resource is. I did use it a little bit but wasn't crazy about the formatting or editing.

In any case, DiGeorge isn't really commonly tested. Know the major trisomies (Down's, Edwards, Patau), especially in the context of maternal serum screening, 22q deletion syndromes are getting a bit obscure.

My thought is to relax and not worry about this. It's been a long time since I took the QE1, but as I recall...everything that I knew I knew because I'd seen and/or treated it in clerkship, and everything I didn't know I wouldn't have studied even if you gave me an entire year and a complete medical library.

The sun is shining and it's warm out. Study some CLEO granola and then quit for the day.

Studying for the MCCQE and having trouble with all the peds syndromes. Anybody with a strategy?

I envision a nice table with the most commonly tested syndromes (DiGeorge, Williams etc.) and the clinical features to remember. But I can't find anything like this.

I need a brief summary. I can't bring myself to read chapters right now.

Any thoughts?

What % of questions were you confident about and how well did you do in the end? ballpark.

Ballpark?

75% confident in the Qbank MC. A little less than that in the end.

60% confident in the Qbank CDM. Pretty close to that in the end.

After 7 mini tests it says I am around the 80th percentile. Not outside first STD DEV. I take this to mean I could pass the test pretty easily.

Why do you ask?

What % of questions were you confident about and how well did you do in the end? ballpark.

You're lucky I'm a packrat...

16 June 2009

On behalf of the Central Examination Committee of the Examination Board of the Medical Council of Canada (MCC) I am pleased to inform you that you have PASSED the Qualifying Examination Part I in the May 2009 session. Your total score is reported as a standard score and represents your overall performance. The pass/fail decision is based on your total score.

Your total score: 522

Score required to pass: 390

The following graph is a schematic representation of your examination performance [blah blah blah bar graph showing how surgery was my strongest domain and medicine my worst.].

Congratulations and best wishes for success.

M. Ian Bowmer MD CM FRCPC

I didn't exactly blow the doors off the thing, but I achieved my goal which was to pass. How did I feel? I figured I'd passed. As I recall the morning was reasonable and the afternoon everybody was going "wtf?". Keep in mind the MCC claims that the exam adapts to your performance and asks progressively harder questions if you get previous ones right (or at least they used to claim this) so your feeling of how you did isn't necessarily accurate.

If (god forbid) I had to do it over again I'd study *less*. Not worth it, since I don't think anybody with any influence on my future really cares what my score was.

Archived