Premed 101 Forums

Waterloo vs. Ottawa Biomedical Sciences (Undergrad)

I just finished first year at waterloo, what would you like to know?

I know Waterloo is known for it's Engineering and Comp. Sci. Programs, would you say that their Biology is also strong? How is the pace? Would you say it's difficult to maintain a high average? Have you enjoyed your first year?

Also, were you on rez and if yes, which one? Would you recommend it?

Thank you!!!!

I know Waterloo is known for it's Engineering and Comp. Sci. Programs, would you say that their Biology is also strong? How is the pace? Would you say it's difficult to maintain a high average? Have you enjoyed your first year?

Also, were you on rez and if yes, which one? Would you recommend it?

Thank you!!!!

Its all relative to how hard you work, however.. on campus..Ottawa is located downtown near Rideau (big shopping mall, also lots of homeless/druggies/prostitutes around). Lots of nightlife, lots of places to eat, it is a very diverse city and they have a strong bio-med program.

I am not as sure as Waterloo but its usually called Waterwoo because so many asians go there. Waterloo is recognized for a lot of different programs including optometry but if you are looking for a Science degree..either or are both great choices.

Also, if you are strictly looking just for a Pre-Med program to get into Medical School..why not look at a less theoretically intensive program? Social Sciences, Health Sciences etc.. are equally great programs (perhaps even better) than Bio-Med. The thing with Bio-Med, is that it teaches you more than you need to know as an M.D. Unless you get into the research side and pursue your PhD, I don't see the benefits from doing that program (unless you generally really enjoy chemistry and want to do it out of interest).

Either way, don't look at prestige..look at lifestyle, money and location. Good luck.

Carleton University - B.Sc- Health Sciences

1st year Medical student University of Ottawa.

Define what you mean by "strong" ? The pace would vary from professor to professor and by how the individual learns, but personally, I thought in general it was fine, sometimes even a little slow but again that depends on professor and what is suitable for you. As for the high average, that is entirely dependent on your individual capabilities. As far as I know, most people do not do as well as they would like to in first semester/first year but that's almost always because they don't really know how to study or prepare. The program itself is not inherently more or less rigorous than any other program in my opinion, there is definitely an opportunity to do very very well. I wasn't on res, I lived off campus with friends. Overall, I would say I fairly enjoyed first year.

As for the high average, that is entirely dependent on your individual capabilities. As far as I know, most people do not do as well as they would like to in first semester/first year but that's almost always because they don't really know how to study or prepare. The program itself is not inherently more or less rigorous than any other program in my opinion, there is definitely an opportunity to do very very well.

I agree with harpreetpaul. It all depends on your own individual capacities and personal interests. Personally, I find it a lot easier to do well in the courses that I enjoyed and that truly interested me (i.e., if the course description sounded interesting and relevant to my personal interests & goals, I would usually end up with a good grade in the course simply because I was motivated to do well and would thereby study harder). So, as much as possible, I chose my courses based on my personal interests and on what I knew my strengths to be (in my case, the life sciences).

I often found that what others advised me were tougher/easier courses was not always what I experienced to be tougher/harder courses. Some people naturally struggle with math & physics courses; other people struggle more with courses that require memory (esp. in the life sciences); and still others struggle more with English courses.

Hence, my suggestion to you is to take a variety of courses in first year to try and figure out what you truly enjoy and excel in. Don't choose your program and courses based on what others tell you is easy but rather on what you are genuinely interested in doing.

Remember that despite your best efforts you might still not end up in med school, so ask yourself as of now what is the second best thing that you'd like to do if you don't get in Medicine (i.e., what's your plan B?). Can you imagine yourself being a lawyer? a researcher? a pharmacist? a vet? a dentist? an engineer?

Waterloo vs Ottawa? Once again, don't go for what's supposedly the easier 'biomed' program but rather for what university is more likely to offer you the options and program choices that you want.

Archived