Premed 101 Forums

I have a friend who plans to do his PA training in the US after he finished his PhD.

I feel like he's kind of not reaching his fullest potential, given that he won't be using a lot of his critical thinking and creative problem solving skills when he's trained to be a PA.

Am I naive and ignorant to say that?

There are a number of differences between a PA and an MD:

- A PA will never be an independent practitioner and this not only has implications for their autonomy but also their lower salary

- A PA (for the most part) is a general practitioner who does not specialize in any formal way; thus the PA role is better suited for individuals who while may preferences in terms of specialities, are comfortable with the idea that they are not being trained to become a "surgeon" for example.

- An MD program is a significant investment of time and money (though, arguably a safe and wise investment). Your friend has already completed a PhD... I am sure 2 years of schooling versus 6++ and lower rates of tuition are extremely appealing.

- The PA profession is in it's growing stages in Canada which may appeal to individuals with backgrounds in policy/advocacy/research/teaching where clinical practice is only a component of their role.

I think there are a lot more points that can be made but when you consider some of these factors as a whole you can see why some people may prefer to become a PA as opposed to an MD.

I have a friend who plans to do his PA training in the US after he finished his PhD.

I feel like he's kind of not reaching his fullest potential, given that he won't be using a lot of his critical thinking and creative problem solving skills when he's trained to be a PA.

Am I naive and ignorant to say that?

PA is by definition a mid-level practitioner. MD is the full scale education for medicine.

I don't think you are naive. If he is someone who is always trying to improve themselves, achieve higher standards etc etc he will come to a point in his career where he will feel very frustrated with himself for choosing PA over MD.

So in that sense, it would have been wiser for him to get an MD over a PA.

That said, the picture in the states is very different.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2011/04/physician-assistant-writes-doctors-america.html

As you can read from this article, PAs in the states want to overcome their status as being a 'mid-level' practitioner to the level of a 'partner' without having to go through the whole MD/DO process, to equate their degree so PAs can apply to traditional MD residencies etc etc.

So it may be possible for him to eventually go through a shortened PA-MD or PA-DO transition program to get a full-class degree to practice independently.

Archived