Premed 101 Forums

Queen's GPA calc

Hi all!

If I apply Queen's this year (4th year), how does the GPA calculation work? For example, I know that my cGPA = 3.84, and my recent two years is 3.78.

Would Queen's compare my cGPA and recent two years GPA (3.84 vs 3.78) and take the better GPA for application? Which GPA is favored more, if at all?

Thanks for the input!

they use the higher one, I called admissions

ha - yeah I was going to comment on this but just was checking my source as well - I don't know where the idea they take the cGPA is above cut off from over the your 2 years which may be higher. They simple have a system take the best of the two :)

ha - yeah I was going to comment on this but just was checking my source as well - I don't know where the idea they take the cGPA is above cut off from over the your 2 years which may be higher. They simple have a system take the best of the two :)

I didn't make it up. I emailed admission about this a while ago.

Thank you for your recent interest in Queen's School of Medicine.

When we calculate GPA, initially we will calculate a cumulative GPA. This includes all grades whether taken part time or full time. If your GPA from this calculation meets our cutoff, we will not make any further calculations. If your cumulative GPA does not make our cutoff, we will then look at your last two most recent full time years. We define full time as years where there were at least 3 academic units per semester.

Please see our website for further information on our admission requirements at http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students

I didn't make it up. I emailed admission about this a while ago.

Ok, now this is vaguely important - when did you email them?

Queens has been driving me a bit nuts lately after their most recent switch in the their program evaluation to being more holistic in their review. I have gotten somewhat conflicting information out of them since that point. The only system - no worries, GPA is a cut off, you get it regardless of which of the two systems you use and bang you are golden. If they are doing parts of the system holistically then a higher GPA should in theory matter so how you compute it is important.

Ok, now this is vaguely important - when did you email them?

Queens has been driving me a bit nuts lately after their most recent switch in the their program evaluation to being more holistic in their review. I have gotten somewhat conflicting information out of them since that point. The only system - no worries, GPA is a cut off, you get it regardless of which of the two systems you use and bang you are golden. If they are doing parts of the system holistically then a higher GPA should in theory matter so how you compute it is important.

I emailed them back in 2011, so maybe they've changed it since then? I guess the key is to be as specific as you can when asking them a question.

If it is purely a cut-off, then it really won't matter which one they take. And that would actually be consistent with the email I posted. But if they do in fact take GPA into consideration post-interview, then the higher of the 2 would make more sense. But AFAIK we have conflicting info on whether GPA is a pure cut-off or is considered post-interview, no?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I just need some clarification on the admission process:

Is the 2 year gpa calculated based upon he 2 most recent, or 2 best years?

Also, the the 2 year gpa calculated from the average of the gpas obtained each year, or do they add up all the grades from the two years and take an average of those?

Thank you

Hello everyone, I just need some clarification on the admission process:

Is the 2 year gpa calculated based upon he 2 most recent, or 2 best years?

Also, the the 2 year gpa calculated from the average of the gpas obtained each year, or do they add up all the grades from the two years and take an average of those?

Thank you

2 most recent

http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/application_process/gpas/2ygpa

Archived