Premed 101 Forums

Choosing a medical speciality - cartoons

I was looking for info on how to choose the ideal med specialty (I know I'm very much ahead of myself!), and I came across these two interesting/humoristic 'medical speciality algorithms'. I thought I'd share them with you and ask for your opinion as to whether there's a bit of truth lurking in either one. Which one's your favourite? Are there any other interesting/funny ones out there?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Af0bdmcSXis/SwbKEYJejCI/AAAAAAAAAPo/Zzczib4NXAY/s1600/Specialty.JPG

Specialty.JPG

http://doccartoon.blogspot.ca/2010/04/how-to-choose-medical-specialty.html

specialties2.jpg

the curvy picture gave me optho, eye's are cool, but i crave more, hectic shall we call them, situations... the straight lines gave me er or psych... i guess if psych also includes neuropsychiatry or behavioral neuro then the seconds bang on, ditto with er... LOL... no adderall: ER, adderall: behavioral neuro/neuropsych, HAHA

funny secret is i cheated on the 12 hour er shaddowing rule in first year by signing up at any hospital with an opening right before... i think i did about 110 hours of er shadowing in first year med, i love the chaos, lol

muse87, you would definitely be a psychiatrist or neurologist.

I was looking for info on how to choose the ideal med specialty (I know I'm very much ahead of myself!), and I came across these two interesting/humoristic 'medical speciality algorithms'. I thought I'd share them with you and ask for your opinion as to whether there's a bit of truth lurking in either one. Which one's your favourite? Are there any other interesting/funny ones out there?

Haha, definitely have done the premature "what residency should I choose" search too!

Got Family on the first one, and Urology on the second (hehe... penis.)

dude, if i could, id do 10 pm 6 am sun to thurs, more pay... plus the "fun" patients, lol

knowing my love of pharmacology, i always had a pocket desire to do anesthesia, but 6 am, 5 am, 430 am... veto

honestly, i think the only way id work in a hospital would be the er, which is like most hospitals barn anyways, meaning i get to avoid a lot of the, what i call unpalatable personalities (i.e. ppl who take themselves too seriously, lol)

ER is defiitely interesting but not the graveyard shift. :eek:

dude, if i could, id do 10 pm 6 am sun to thurs, more pay... plus the "fun" patients, lol

knowing my love of pharmacology, i always had a pocket desire to do anesthesia, but 6 am, 5 am, 430 am... veto

honestly, i think the only way id work in a hospital would be the er, which is like most hospitals barn anyways, meaning i get to avoid a lot of the, what i call unpalatable personalities (i.e. ppl who take themselves too seriously, lol)

It's all yours then! ;)

On a second thought, maybe the graveyard shift is cool ?!? I can be such a night owl at times (esp in the summer).

Me these days:

305955659_79c27c85e5.jpg

lol, i go to bed at 5 am everyday anways, lol, like since i was 15 and could sched my own hs classes, lol, delayed onset sleep disorder, lol, for the win i guess

It's all yours then! ;)

On a second thought, maybe the graveyard shift is cool ?!? I can be such a night owl at times (esp in the summer).

Me these days:

305955659_79c27c85e5.jpg

The first one gave me psychiatry, which I am good with.

The second one - radiology. Not so good :P

hey........ :)

I always find they put radiology in a weird place on these. My type of rads doesn't line up with the their hide in the dark, lazy pathway they set up - things have changed.

hey........ :)

I always find they put radiology in a weird place on these. My type of rads doesn't line up with the their hide in the dark, lazy pathway they set up - things have changed.

Hahaha... The second diagram is not any nicer to radiologists; it assumes they have a tendency to be socially awkward. (But it does consider rads to have good grades).

So far, though, I kind of have a preference for the 1st diagram. I like the fact that it is apparently backed up by 'scientific' evidence, and it's a bit more comprehensive.

The 2nd diagram has good parts to it too; the 'what do you enjoy during your freetime part' is interesting (accurate as well?), so is the 'what can you fake an interest in' part because in all honesty, I have a hard time believing that people find the eyes & esp the skin to be the most interesting parts of the human body! I mean seriously...burning warts all day...

Hahaha... The second diagram is not any nicer to radiologists; it assumes they have a tendency to be socially awkward. (But it does consider rads to have good grades).

So far, though, I kind of have a preference for the 1st diagram. I like the fact that it is apparently backed up by 'scientific' evidence, and it's a bit more comprehensive.

The 2nd diagram has good parts to it too; the 'what do you enjoy during your freetime part' is interesting (accurate as well?), so is the 'what can you fake an interest in' part because in all honesty, I have a hard time believing that people find the eyes & esp the skin to be the most interesting parts of the human body! I mean seriously...burning warts all day...

Yeah that assumptions of socially awkward :) This year in my school two of our most outgoing people got rads. The field has been working hard to shed that image and for good reason.

I could believe the interest in the eyes thing though - I mean vision is a pretty cool sense.

yeah, honestly everyone i've ever met that matched rads was really cool, lol, minus one jerkwad... i think it's really neat, like I have quite a few neuroimaging texts and the technology and advances in rads are so cool.

the interventional procedures are pretty sweet too... i was kinda confused when i saw that too.

Yeah that assumptions of socially awkward :) This year in my school two of our most outgoing people got rads. The field has been working hard to shed that image and for good reason.

I could believe the interest in the eyes thing though - I mean vision is a pretty cool sense.

i think if i ever did derm it would be way less about how cool skin is and more about how cool the technology and almost being an artist is, lol. maybe similar to the artistic inclination you need in certain plastic surgery procedures you see in hospital.

i think if i ever did derm it would be way less about how cool skin is and more about how cool the technology and almost being an artist is, lol. maybe similar to the artistic inclination you need in certain plastic surgery procedures you see in hospital.

Good point. Personally, I would kind of feel too limited if I were to focus only on one organ-system, despite the neat techno in these fields. But I guess the only way to truly know which speciality is right for you is to 'experience' it first-hand. I assume that during the clerkship years, many myths on the various specialities are debunked... Yet, the cartoons are probably accurate in that I will probably end up in family med (because I like to sample everything). We'll see...

On a different note, I was looking for other interesting & comprehensive cartoons/diagrams that could help with choosing a medical speciality, and I came across something called the Goo Tolerance Index. It's not quite in a funky diagram format, but it's still quite neat. I rate my goo tolerance at 3 or 4, so Patholgy & Derm are pretty much "out" for me. :eek:

Oh, and based on this blog:

"If you don’t want to get divorced during residency, maybe read this paper. The surprising result? Psychiatry is the worst at a 50% cumulative divorce rate followed by surgery at 33%, and most other medical specialties between 22-30%. I guess psychiatrists drive their spouses nuts when they bring their work home."

Stuff to think about :rolleyes:

Archived