Premed 101 Forums

gpa calc for OT/PT

Just a quick clarification for gpa calc. Most OT/PT programs use your final 2 yrs of study to obtain your gpa, but does it matter if the courses are 1st yr level vs 3rd and 4th?

It appears that UBC focuses on your senior level courses, are there any programs that do the same?

The reason I ask is I took 1st yr level physics and math courses during my final 2 yrs, that are really hurtin my gpa.

Just a quick clarification for gpa calc. Most OT/PT programs use your final 2 yrs of study to obtain your gpa, but does it matter if the courses are 1st yr level vs 3rd and 4th?

It appears that UBC focuses on your senior level courses, are there any programs that do the same?

The reason I ask is I took 1st yr level physics and math courses during my final 2 yrs, that are really hurtin my gpa.

I know it matters at U of T and U of A. They don't mind if you take 1 or 2 lower level courses so you should be fine as long as you don't overload on them in your last 2 years

What if you have a few 1st year electives in your last 2 years? Do they count different courses or weigh them differently?

I was wondering this too, because at my university they weighted all electives as first year courses (hence why they needed no prerequisites)

• 2 weeks later...
What if you have a few 1st year electives in your last 2 years? Do they count different courses or weigh them differently?

For schools in Ontario: They will calculate your gpa based on whatever university courses fall within your most recent 60 credits. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what your courses are.

Hey, I was wondering if you return back to school as a continuing education student and take elective courses to boost your gpa, if the schools would look at that and not consider/rank those courses lower?

What do you mean by continuing education? if you go back to school to take university level courses (i.e 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rd year courses) then they will count it. I took courses after I graduated to boost up my gpa and they included those classes with the gpa calculation. But you should check with the schools you want to apply to as some have limitations as to how many they will include in gpa calculation.

• 4 weeks later...

how do they calculate full year courses? I am doing my senior thesis this year (continuing student, graduated in June), which is worth 1.5 full year courses. Will they just take the midterm mark and count it for 0.75 full year courses?

I am also taking 4 first year half courses that are pre reqs for various things I'm applying to. Will this hurt me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Archived