Premed 101 Forums

Lifestyle specialities

If you have medical issues, part-time residency is an option. It's not widely advertised, but generally every faculty's PGME has a process in place for applying for part-time residency. The hours have to be at least half of the normal hours, though. If you have a condition that just flares up occasionally and you need occasional breaks, it is certainly feasible to arrange medical leave/leave of absence.

Thank you, that is great to know. I still have time to think and talk to student affairs about this so hopefully it will work out.

I wouldn't say FM is an easy residency, it's just short, and since you have quite a lot to learn, your off-service blocks end up comprising about half of your residency. For the remainder, you have your FM rotations, which of course can differ from one program to another, but generally, you are assigned to GPs whose practices are full-service rather than just office-based. That means doing obstetrics with them (and the call that comes with it), having inpatients to round on daily, etc.

I'm at a smaller site and a GP-run hospital. My current FM rotation involves 7:30 rounds, clinic 9-5:30 with an hour's lunch, home call with my preceptor 1:8 for obs, and weekend obs/hospital home call 1 full weekend every 1.5-2 months or so. At our program, we also have hospital service call regardless of what rotation we are on, it's roughly 1:7 as long as our rotation is here in town. So it's quite busy, actually, even though it's the FM rotation. I'm on my Fri-Sun home call with my preceptor now, and my Fri home call already got converted to in-house according to union rules since I had spent almost the entire night in hospital, and we have rounds every morning for 8 doctors' patients. Took us 5 hours this morning, but depending on how busy obstetrics gets, my preceptor said it could even take over 12 hours.

had a double negative in there - actually I was saying it WASN'T easy. There is no such thing as a 9-5 residency. Oops :)

Archived