Premed 101 Forums

Applying to OT 2014

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get into OT for fall 2014. I have a subGPA of 3.67 and a cumGPA of 3.61. I have volunteer experience working programs at a seniors residence and am currently working with an OT running small group programs (2-4 children) for both fine and gross motor skills. I have research experience as a research assistant in paediatric clinics. I'm hoping my GPA is high enough to get in somewhere.

I will be applying to U of T, Queens, UWO, Mac, U Alberta, U ottawa, Mcgill (maybe UBC- depends if my anatomy credit satisfies the pre req).

I wish everyone luck with their applications!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I'm a kine student at York. Will be applying to Western OT, McMaster OT/PT, UofT OT/PT, and Queens OT/PT. My sub-gpa is 3.82 and cum-gpa is 3.5..I have only volunteered at physiotherapy clinics for 8 months and done some personal training for 4 months. Currently struggling so hard to write my letter of intent!

Does anybody know for U of T OT and Queens OT whether we have to mail in hard copy of our letter of intent/resume or is the online orpas personal submission the only thing we need???

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I'm applying to OT programs at Mac, Queen's, and Western. I was just wondering if anyone out there might have any pointers. I started working on my letter of intent and going to start the emerging trends essay soon. Does anyone know how many pages is 5000 characters? I have two pages so far for my letter of intent

Hey everyone, I'm applying to OT programs at Mac, Queen's, and Western. I was just wondering if anyone out there might have any pointers. I started working on my letter of intent and going to start the emerging trends essay soon. Does anyone know how many pages is 5000 characters? I have two pages so far for my letter of intent

If you are using microsoft word you select all (highlight in blue) your whole essay and click on where it says "words" in the bottom left hand corner. A little grey box will pop up and tell you how many words and characters you have. So far at two pages my emerging trends essay is about 3000 characters without spaces 3500 with. I am wondering if the 5000 character pointer is just so that people do not go over this amount, not so much that you have to write that much?

ok yes thank you. Mine seems to be roughly 3000 as well and 3600 with spaces. I'm pretty sure the 5000 characters is just a limit, I just find it odd they never said. I started my emerging trends essay yesterday and have close to a page. So far, I put more focus on the 2nd part of their question so I really need to work more on the trends. There seems to be a lot to choose from. I guess i'm just worried about not choosing the right two lol

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I only just began to open ORPAS and I am starting tonight. It is my first time applying to ORPAS so the process seems a little overwhelming. For UBC and UofA, I know we can send documents even before we submit our online application because I was told they will make a file in your name and then match it to your application later. This significantly makes coordinating your references and hard-copy submissions much easier. Is this the same case for ORPAS? Or does ORPAS require is to submit the online application first before we can get our referees to send their reference letters?

I apologize if this is confusing!

ok yes thank you. Mine seems to be roughly 3000 as well and 3600 with spaces. I'm pretty sure the 5000 characters is just a limit, I just find it odd they never said. I started my emerging trends essay yesterday and have close to a page. So far, I put more focus on the 2nd part of their question so I really need to work more on the trends. There seems to be a lot to choose from. I guess i'm just worried about not choosing the right two lol

If you're stuck for trends, I found this link helpful http://www.caot.ca/default.asp?pageid=4

It has a lot of the hot topic issues in the field right now

I'm finishing up my undergrad in mechanical engineering at uWaterloo, and unfortunately have a GPA of 3.22 and sub GPA of 3.06. Fourth year GPA so far is 4.0 though (after first term), so hopefully they take that into consideration.

I have two great reference letters, 4 months of full time work at an OT clinic, a strong resume, and a unique perspective with my engineering background, so I'm hoping they'll be willing to overlook my (abysmal) 3rd year marks!

I'm applying to OT at Queen's, McMaster, UofT, and Western. I'm really hoping for Queen's! I know the chances are slim though - if I don't get in this year, I'll take some more courses, volunteer some more, and try again next year :)

Best of luck to everyone!

What about you're GPA?

Most CANADIAN schools won't accept you with a 3.0 GPA regardless of EC's and research publications. Can the experts on pm101 comment on this?

EDIT:

Oh never mind he's talking about OT.

but still, a 3.0 GPA is still kind of low (pending for expert advice)

You're right a lot of schools do weight GPA quite heavily - specifically Mac and Western however Queen's and Alberta tend to look very closely at other components of the application. Toronto has also been known to take a few applicants with lower GPA's but outstanding experience. This being said, in all cases it seems GPA plays a large role and it is good to keep that in mind going in - what's meant to be will be. :)

You're right a lot of schools do weight GPA quite heavily - specifically Mac and Western however Queen's and Alberta tend to look very closely at other components of the application. Toronto has also been known to take a few applicants with lower GPA's but outstanding experience. This being said, in all cases it seems GPA plays a large role and it is good to keep that in mind going in - what's meant to be will be. :)

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into Alberta as well. I know the chances are very slim. I'm really hoping they see the significant improvement (average increased by 25% from third year to fourth year), and realize I just had a really off year. Do you think it's worth mentioning personal circumstances that affected my marks in third year in my personal statement, or do you think it will be perceived as making excuses for poor performance?

Of course, if it doesn't work out this year, I'll take an extra year of courses and get even more experience before applying again next year :)

I'm finishing up my undergrad in mechanical engineering at uWaterloo, and unfortunately have a GPA of 3.22 and sub GPA of 3.06. Fourth year GPA so far is 4.0 though (after first term), so hopefully they take that into consideration.

I have two great reference letters, 4 months of full time work at an OT clinic, a strong resume, and a unique perspective with my engineering background, so I'm hoping they'll be willing to overlook my (abysmal) 3rd year marks!

I'm applying to OT at Queen's, McMaster, UofT, and Western. I'm really hoping for Queen's! I know the chances are slim though - if I don't get in this year, I'll take some more courses, volunteer some more, and try again next year :)

Best of luck to everyone!

I would think about applying to McGill - I don't think they're as focused on grades as some Ontario schools

I have a question, are we expected to use include references within our essays?

I have a question, are we expected to use include references within our essays?

That's a good question. I have no idea. I feel like they would have asked for them though. I just called ORPAS this morning and did ask that question but she told me I would have to ask the particular school for that :S

Hello again everyone, I'm starting to get a little stressed and starting to nit pick at my statement of intent essay. I just realized that we submit a different essay to each of the different schools we apply to, so I'm just wondering if I'm supposed to make them all a little different and focus on that one school and their program. Is anyone else doing this? Also, what about giving reasons as to why bad grades may have been made in the past? Should that be mentioned at all? Just wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Hey,

I am confused about the emerging trends essay. I wrote my essay as a research essay with quotes and citations. I got someone else to read it over and that person feels like I answered the question wrong and that it should be strictly an opinion paper without research (quotes, citations, etc.). I was wondering if anyone has this issue? I don't know how you would answer the question without having research to back it up.

Archived